Pickard hat-trick in eight-try Sheffield Tigers romp; Sheffield RUFC in last-ditch victory

editorial image
Have your say

Sheffield Tigers drove home their National Three North title bid with an eight-try, 57-10 victory at Stockport.

Hull - previously the Dore Moor club’s closest challengers - were pipped 20-19 at Rossendale, while an identical scoreline went in favour of Sheffield as the Abbeydale Park side scraped the honours on their visit to struggling Cleckheaton to move up one place to sixth.

Max Allen got Tigers off the mark early on, crashing over for a try and outside centre Jamie Broadley soon doubled the advantage.

It was one-way traffic for much of the game with Broadley going on to score a second and inside centre Tom Outram also bagging a brace.

But the star man was Henri Packard whose pace caused problems throughout the game for Stockport and he finished the game with a hat-trick.

Sheffield escaped with a narrow 20-19 win away win over second- from-bottom Cleckheaton.

No 8 Johnny France got Sheffield’s first points on the board after Cleckheaton had taken an early lead with a try but they still trailed 12-3 at the break.

France kicked another penalty in the second half before Joe McHale scored a try and France converted.

Richard Piper scored the hosts’ second try of the game to take a 19-13 lead but with time running out, Sheffield were awarded a penalty try and France was once again on target to snatch the win.

Dinnington, after opening up a 19-0 interval lead, were left to salvage a losing bonus point as Morley snatched a 21-19 win in their North One East match at Lodge Lane.

The safe boot of Dinnington fly-half Jonny West had put the hosts firmly in the driving seat as he kicked four penalties as well as converting the only try of the first half by skipper and hooker Matthew Starr.

Even after turning round with the slope and a breeze in their favour, Morley were slow to make their mark but finally edged it with three converted tries.

Dinnington finished the stronger of the two sides but were unable to break through the Morley defence and were unlucky not to be awarded a late penalty which would have swung the result back in their favour.

A bad injury to Josh Smith compounded Barnsley’s misery as they lost 23-16 at home to Roundhegians.

Smith converted a Joe South try and added two penalties to reduce the arrears after Roundhegians had gone ahead with two tries in the first half.

But his injury, a broken leg just after the hour mark, took the wind out of Barnsley’s sails and although Chris Peel kicked a penalty at the death, it wasn’t to be enough.

Wath on Dearne suffered last-minute heartbreak as they lost 20-16 to Moortown in Yorkshire Two.

A try from Steve Mason and further points from the boot of Anthony Barratt had given them a lead but a pushover try in the last minute saw them lose the game.

Sheffield Medicals, previously level with their rivals on league points, were edged out 19-13 in their Yorkshire Two match against Old Rishworthians at Halifax.

Medicals went 16 points down in the first quarter of an hour but battled their way back into contention with a try by full-back William Watkinson, which Mike Davies converted as well as landing two penalty goals.

Rotherham Phoenix lost out 31-13 at Bramley Phoenix in Yorkshire Three, while Stocksbridge will have to rearrange their match at Leeds Modernians after it was postponed.

Sheffield Oaks lost out 8-27 at home against Yorkshire Four rivals Ossett, while Mosborough also lost, 47-0 on the road at Wensleydale.