Rugby League: Sheffield Eagles late surge is too late to snatch win

Have your say

Sheffield Eagles left it too late to snatch a vital win at Whitehaven with the Cumbrians hanging on to take the game 24-22.

Two tries from Menie Yere to bring his points total for the club to 500 had given the Eagles the lead but they slipped behind on the stroke of half-time. In the final 40 minutes they struggled to take control until a late surge took them agonisingly close.

At the half-way point in the league season the 2013 Champions are stranded in mid-table with six wins from 12 games.

Coach Mark Aston kept his pledge to shake up the Eagles after the defeat to Leigh with son Cory coming in at stand-off for Patch Walker. Forwards Alex Palmer and Jack Blagbrough were in the pack with Gareth Owen at hooker.

Eagles got off to a great start with centre Lelauloto Tagaloa forcing his way over.

Indiscipline helped Haven hit back with the referee adding a further 10 yards for disputing a penalty. Centre Jesse Joe Parker caught the Eagles napping from the tap to grab the try with Tom Carr adding the two to take the lead.

Whitehaven increased their lead with hooker James Newton exploiting poor defending from dummy half. Carr added the goal.

Eagles came back with two tries from record scorer Yere. Haven lost the ball and Yere did the rest racing in from the half-way line to touch down under the posts.

Fullback Quentin Laulu-Togagae made the break that set up the second for the centre. Dominic Brambani added the goals.

The lead lasted until the final minute of the half when Callum Farrer on his senior debut touched down under the posts and Carr added the goal for a 18-16 lead.

Eagles defence was tested from the restart with the home team dominating possession and the pressure was rewarded when winger Craig Calvert scoring.

Haven increased the margin with what was to prove a vital penalty kicked by Carr.

Eagles desperately needed a score and had Haven on the ropes but it wasn’t until five minutes from time that winger Scott Turner crossed at the corner. Michael Knowles added the goal but Haven held on to leave the Eagles with only a losing bonus point.

Eagles: Laulu-Togagae; Turner, Yere, Tagaloa, Taulapapa; Aston, Brambani; Blagbrough, Owen, Stringer, Knowles, Palmer, Straugheir. Subs: Davey, Green, Garside, Battye.

Tries: Tagaloa 4, Yere 26, 36, Turner 75.

Goals: Brambani 2/ 3. Knowles 1/1.

Referee: Chris Leatherbarrow.

Attendance: 644.