Match report: British Army 12 Doncaster RLFC 62

Hat trick hero Lee Waterman sets off on another run in the Dons' Challenge Cup win over British Army. Picture: Rob Terrace
Hat trick hero Lee Waterman sets off on another run in the Dons' Challenge Cup win over British Army. Picture: Rob Terrace
Have your say

Lee Waterman and Dave Scott were the top gunners as the Dons conquered the brave British Army in the Challenge Cup.

Both men scored hat tricks as the chances of potential embarrassment were blitzed by Paul Cooke’s troops, who ran out comfortable 62-12 winners in Aldershot.

Waterman’s feat was particularly notable given just a few weeks ago he was ruled out for up to four months with a broken wrist.

The influential centre was a surprise starter and quashed questions over his fitness with an explosive performance that delivered three tries for him and created several others.

Alongside the trio of scores from Scott, there were braces of tries from Liam Cunningham and Nev Morrison, while Richard Wilkinson also went over.

This was never going to be the typical cup meeting between professional and amateur outfits. The usual gulf in physical and fitness levels was much narrower as the Dons encountered an opposition whose very business is being in peak condition.

The Army gave as good as they got in clashes and there was never a chance of them fading as the game wore on.

They were in fact, the better side in the early stages, despite falling behind to a Cunningham try on five minutes.

The Army fired back when the Dons were punished for failing to deal with a big bomb and Tony Lawless added the conversion.

Buoyed by the score, the hosts entered a period on the front foot when the Dons simply could not find their feet.

But a timely try from Scott eased the tension, allowing the Dons to finally relax and go into the ascension.

Over a nine minute period, three tries were added with Cunningham adding his second, and Waterman and Morrison their firsts.

On the stroke of half time, Wilkinson darted over under the posts with Sanderson’s successful kick making it 34-6.

Waterman and Scott adding their seconds early in the half before Waterman completed his hat trick on 57 minutes after a well-timed pass from Wilkinson.

The Army refused to surrender and got their second try through Matty Curgenvin with Lawless converting.

The Dons would add two more before the final hooter with Scott securing his hat trick and Morrison making it two to ease his side into the fourth round draw.