VIDEO: Nottingham Panther attacks Sheffield Steeler

Have your say

NOTTINGHAM Panthers player Kelsey Wilson has been banned for three matches after a violent off-the-play attack on Sheffield Steeler star Simon Ferguson last night, writes Bob Westerdale.

VIDEO: Press the play button to see the vicious attack.

Steelers flashpoint: Simon Ferguson, attacked on the ice  by Kelsey Wilson.'         Picture: dean woolley

Steelers flashpoint: Simon Ferguson, attacked on the ice by Kelsey Wilson.' Picture: dean woolley

Ferguson was skating back to the bench after his team had gone 2-1 up. They went on to win 9-4.

Kelsey smashed his stick directly into Ferguson’s solar plexus. Ferguson slumped to the ice, tried to get up to fight Kelsey, but collapsed again.

Kelsey, a Canadian wing, was ejected for slashing, despite his laughable gestures of innocence.

Kelsey lashed out in a cowardly way, catching his target completely unaware. That level of thuggishness deserves a few games on the sidelines, although Ferguson recovered.

The player has now been banned for three matches following a supplementary discipline review by the League disciplinary committee.

It didn’t tarnish an incredible night of achievement for Steelers, hammering the league’s best team.

Sheffield had got off to a tentative start and a series of giveaways - two from Shawn Limpright - threatened to put the visitors in charge but John DeCaro stood tall.

Panthers were assertive offensively, but less so defensively.

They were passive on the blue line at 8:10 when Chris Frank scored from Ferguson.

It took David Clarke just 75 seconds to equalise, his shot deflecting off DeCaro’s left forearm and trickling over.

Ashley Tait had a goal disallowed at 10:44, but he wasn’t to be denied. Five minutes later he made it 2-1, Ferguson again involved, which might be why he ended up in agony, centre ice, thanks to the inexplicable brutality.

Two minutes later, Notts paid a bigger penalty, Tylor Michel ending a nine-game drout with a goal.

Two goals in 18 seconds after the break, from Drew Fata and Tait built an astonishing 5-1 lead. And while Pat Galivan got one back, Sheffield continued to dominate.

On a penalty kill, Tait had to chances to score. He didn’t but waited until 35:22 to stake his hat-trick.

Matt Francis scored for Notts, but Rod Sarich made it 7-3 to send most of the 8,122 fans into rapture.

All Steelers had to do was match Panthers’ final session intensity: they did with more besides.

Michel scored his second and Jonathan Phillips scored his first goal in 11 games.

Galivan wrapped up the scoring for Notts.

Back to the top of the page