Two struggling Premier League clubs are understood to be pondering a January move for Owls centre-back Tom Lees.
The 24-year-old, who has been a model of consistency since moving to Hillsborough 16 months ago, is on Newcastle United and Norwich City’s radar.
Newcastle and Norwich are looking to shore up their leaky backlines and are believed to have identified Lees as a potentialsigning when the transfer window reopens in January.
It is also thought Sunderland and Aston Villa are big admirers of the defender.
Lees missed just two matches last season and his impressive form led to Championship rivals Fulham tabling a £1.2m bid for him over the summer. Wednesday turned down their offer and later handed Lees a two-year contract extension, tying him down to the Championship club until 2019.
Lees, the Owls’ only ever present this term, has been instrumental in Wednesday recording four shut outs in their last six outings.
Speaking to The Star last week, Owls chief Carlos Carvalhal said he was confident of fending off offers for his top performers. Wednesday also rejected a bid for goalkeeper Keiren Westwood.
Carvalhal said: “I don’t think we will lose players. Our chairman has made it very clear that he doesn’t want to sell any player until the end of the season.
“If you ask me at the end of the season if the chairman will do business with someone then I will say probably but that’s normal in football.
“We are in the process and worked with the team a short time. But if something happens in January and we get one fantastic business come, I will not try to block this kind of situation if it will be good for the club and player.”