Milan Mandaric believes he has demonstrated his commitment to Sheffield Wednesday by turning down a multi-million-pound offer for an Owls player before the transfer window closed.
The Wednesday chairman claims the bid that was lodged before the September 1 deadline was worth “several million”. But Mandaric insists the only players who will be leaving Hillsborough are those who need match time on a temporary basis.
He told The Star: “We rejected a substantial offer for a player before the deadline. I don’t want to name that player but we turned the offer down because we are in the building, not selling process.
“We need to keep the stability and carry on building. That’s the only way we can go places and make progress. You can’t make progress if you are disturbing the team and selling your best players.”
Michail Antonio left last month, joining Nottingham Forest for a fee believed to be in the region of £1.5m, but Mandaric is adamant that was a good piece of business, insisting the forward wanted to move on.
“If we let players go, that would damage our potential success,” he said. “The only people we might loan out are players who are not playing to give them some experience.”
Despite their bright start, head coach Gray is still looking to bring in a forward on loan and Mandaric has promised to support his quest to strengthen the team.
Mandaric stressed: “Stuart will keep getting support on and off the field. We had a Swiss international [Xavier Margairaz] on trial last week but he didn’t fit quite right.
“Stuart has got the green light to sign another striker to put positive pressure on our forward line.
“Whatever additional improvements Stuart needs to make, we will do that. We will not just get a player in to make up the numbers. Whoever comes in has got to be of the right quality and add something to the group. We have put a proper team together. A lot of credit must go to Stuart and the players.”