Carlos Carvalhal is staying tight-lipped over his own contract situation as Sheffield Wednesday prepare for their crunch Championship showdown with promotion hopefuls Burnley.
The Portuguese boss has won over the hearts and minds of Wednesdayites through his swashbuckling, attacking brand of football.
Carvalhal, who has previously managed Sporting Lisbon and Besiktas, has turned the Owls into serious top-six contenders, leading to him being linked with the Swansea City job in December.
When the 50-year-old succeeded Stuart Gray last June, Carvalhal reportedly penned a one-year contract.
When quizzed on his future, the head coach told The Star: “My contract is not important. What’s more important are the players and that we win games.”
Speaking at his press briefing yesterday, Carvalhal, who is likely to recall Keiren Westwood, Sam Hutchinson, Glenn Loovens, Daniel Pudil, Kieran Lee, Barry Bannan, Ross Wallace and Fernando Forestieri to his starting line-up versus the Clarets, said: ”I’m here and happy. I don’t want to talk in public about my contract.
“I’m here and happy but in the future you don’t know if you will be happy or if the people will like you.”
Carvalhal is pleased with the progress Wednesday have made since their last meeting with Burnley when they suffered a 3-1 loss at Turf Moor.
“We are completely different,” he said. “We had received new players. It was the first game we had played Bannan, Forestieri, Turner and Pudil. It was the first game of the new era.
“We played very well and did a really good game. We understand better now what we must do.
“We conceded goals at that moment which we wouldn’t normally concede.
“We are better now but so are they.
“We are more close (to them) than we were in September. We were far away at the beginning but we are more close with the quality of these teams.
“We understand that we can’t jump steps. We can’t go to the next step in a few weeks or months. Sometimes when you want to jump a step, it can take time.
“I think we are accelerating and doing well.”