Sheffield Wednesday: Owls ace dismisses exit talks

Tom Lees

Tom Lees

7
Have your say

Centre-back Tom Lees has brushed aside speculation linking him with a move away from Sheffield Wednesday, insisting that his future remains at Hillsborough.

The 24-year-old, an integral part of the Owls’ defence last season, has been linked with several clubs, including Sunderland, Hull City and Bristol City, who Wednesday face on the opening-day of the Championship season on August 8.

It was just over a month ago the Owls turned down a £1.2m bid for Lees from Fulham and head coach Carvlos Carvalhal recently told this newspaper that the defender is not for sale.

On the speculation, Lees said: “The club are not in that position anymore where they have to sell. Maybe last year things might have been different if offers had come in for players. We have seen players leave in the past. I think now there is an emphasis on trying to progress and bringing in players to strengthen the club.

“Until I’m told any different, I’m a Sheffield Wednesday player. I have come back focused to kick on this season and hopefully we can do that.”

He added: “Everything is in Wednesday’s court. I have two years left on my contract. It would be their choosing if I was to leave.”

Lees, who attended the club’s annual fun day ‘Owls in the Park’ yesterday, admits the players are still adapting to Carvalhal’s methods.

He conceded: “It’s a whole new approach. It takes a bit of getting used to but we are all very open minded and willing to adapt to how the manager wants us to do things. That will obviously make us better players because we will have more strings to our bow.”

The former Leeds player added: “There’s been a lot that’s happened over the summer. We don’t want to put ourselves under too much pressure but we will expecting to and looking to try and get towards the top end of the table.”

For more news from Hillsborough click here

For our Owls news and opinion on twitter follow here

Follow Dom Howson on twitter

Back to the top of the page