SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY: Ex-Blade holds out as Owls warm up for tour

Sheffield Wednesday's Giles Coke (yellow/blue strip) in action agiainst Sheffield FC.
Sheffield Wednesday's Giles Coke (yellow/blue strip) in action agiainst Sheffield FC.
Have your say

One half of the Wednesday squad warmed up for their impending trip to Portugal with a drab pre-season draw at non-league Sheffield FC.

With former Blades player Curtis Woodhouse in charge, Club were never going to succumb easily to the Owls, and their defensive stubbornness would have been a good test for the Wednesday players in their first match action of the summer.

The side sent by boss Dave Jones was a strong one. Joe Mattock made his first outing in a Wednesday shirt, Giles Coke was operating at right-back in his first appearance since returning from a loan spell at Bury while trialist Marlon Harewood was also given a start as he aims to win a permanent contract.

Under the stewardship of new assistant Paul Wilkinson, the Owls started almost as brightly as the new yellow shirts that they were sporting. The first real chance of the game came inside five minutes for Owls striker Chris O’Grady was unmarked in the box but wastefully headed over a Jermaine Johnson cross. Another effort followed soon after when Johnson pinged a shot that was gathered at the second attempt by Club keeper Liam Flynn.

Harewood then glanced a header over before Johnson displayed his vast array of trickery and skill with a jinking run only to end in a blazing shot high over the goal.

The breakthrough finally came on 20 minutes when O’Grady held off two defenders just inside the area before firing across the face of goal beyond the reach of Flynn.

The positive signs were there in abundance for Wednesday fans, who made up the majority of the 1,342 crowd.

As expected, their defence was not troubled much, with the nearly all aerial battles being won by the Owls.

Many fans will have been keeping one eye on Harewood’s performance, and the former Forest forward looked bright in patches, with his hold-up play catching the eye, if not his finishing.

He was replaced by Caolan Lavery ten minutes after the break, before a flurry of substitutions took place.

Tyrone Thompson saw his shot repelled by Dawson before Dan Williams buried a well-placed header to level the scores. It was no less than the home side deserved and by the end of the match Wednesday had a completely different 11 on the pitch from those who had started.

Wilkinson will have been more than happy with his side’s performance and an injury-free night would have been just what Jones would have wished for before the Wednesday players jet off to warmer climates later today.

Sheffield FC: Flynn, Barnett, Weir, Woolley, Hadfield, Burrell, Adam, Foster, Powell, Gascoigne, McKenzie. Subs; Thompson, Williams, Anderson, Gregory, Roney, Reidy, Booth, Martin.

OWLS: Bywater, Mattock, Llera, R Jones, Bennett, J Johnson, Semedo, Coke, Prutton, Harewood, O’Grady. Subs; Dawson (GK), Kyle, Lavery, Fenwick, Dickenson, Mayona, Nyoni, Deadkin, White, Fitzharus, Aycola.

Attendance: 1,342.