SHEFFIELD Wednesday manager Dave Jones said Gary Madine still has a job to do for the club despite speculation linking the striker with a move away from Hillsborough.
A report suggested that Madine, aged 22, was on the verge of a loan or permanent switch to Millwall before the London club decided not to proceed with the deal.
But questioned yesterday at his press conference before the MK Dons FA Cup third round replay tonight, Jones said he didn’t know where the story had come from.
He said: “It’s the first I’ve heard of it. I have conversations with lots of football clubs but I’d rather talk about my players rather than players at other clubs and I’d expect the same respect going back the other way.
“Gary Madine is part of this football club and gets paid by this football club like everybody else.
“While everybody is here they’re available to play for this football club.”
However, Jones refused to rule out the possibility of Madine or any other Owls player leaving the club and reaffirmed his position of keeping transfer activity behind closed doors until a move is complete.
He said: “While ever there is other options that come around then they are something that the club will consider.
“I’m not saying ‘yes’ and I’m not saying ‘no’ because there’s a time and a place to discuss it.
“At the moment everybody here is very buoyant and hard-working and I’m sure everybody wants to stay.
“That’s not always possible because sometimes you’re moving someone out to make way for people coming in.
“It’s difficult because I don’t like talking about players (transfer targets) until it’s done. At the moment in time the rumour mill is in full flow because of the transfer window.”
Jones did confirm that Everton midfielder Ross Barkley, who had a loan spell at the Owls earlier this season, was someone he’d have liked to have brought back to Sheffield 6. The 19-year-old has instead joined Leeds United on loan, which was the decision of the Toffees.
Wednesday will travel down to Buckinghamshire today with Jones only naming his team after checking with “three or four” members of his squad who are carrying knocks.
The Dons are using their under-soil heating for the first time to combat the cold weather.
* Follow The Star sports writer Richard Fidler on Twitter @richardfidler. For breaking news keep checking The Star website or visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/sheffieldstar or Twitter at www.twitter.com/sheffieldstar”