Owls FT: Yeovil 2 Sheffield Wednesday 0

Liam Palmer
Liam Palmer
Have your say

Sheffield Wednesday were beaten at Yeovil with Ishmael Miller scoring twice

The Wednesday fans bathed in sunshine at the open end of Huish Park were in fine voice early in with Martinez keeping goal directly in front of them.

Sam Hutchinson, later sent off for Owls

Sam Hutchinson, later sent off for Owls

Helan and Maghoma linked up well down the left wing with Maghoma brought down by Ayling for an early free kick which Maguire underhit.

It was a confident start on a very slick surface that had been made wet with a heavy sprinkling by groundstaff just before kick-off.

Maghoma had the game’s first chance in the seventh minute as he was found by a lovely pass from the right by Maguire.

The winger took on Ayling but his shot was beaten away by Stech. From the rebound Helan’s cross was glanced wide by Gardner from eight yards out.

Yeovil v Wednesday

Yeovil v Wednesday

Yeovil’s first opportunity for pressure came after Maghoma handled the ball after feeling he was fouled. Ayling’s free kick sailed harmlessly out of play at the back post.

They came a little closer moments later when a free kick from a similar position on the right fell to Lawrence who flashed a shot wide of Martinez’s left hand post.

Onyewu then had to do well to stretch and hook the ball clear when it looked as though Hayter was about to break through.

The Glovers had the ball in the net in the 15th minute but Miller was adjudged to be offside.

Wednesday’s early dominance had disappeared and in the 19th minute Hayter should have put the hosts in front.

Loovens misjudged a long ball forward but the former Doncaster Rovers striker could only mis-hit his volley into the ground and the ball was gathered by Martinez.

Owls right back Palmer was the first player to be booked as he halted a Yeovil breakaway with a clumsy challenge on Edwards.

The move had come about after the Owls failed to capitalise in the six yard area after a driven free kick by Maguire.

Wednesday then had several half chances to open the scoring. First, after a good run by Helan, the ball fell to Coke who saw his shot deflected over.

And then Best lost his footing in the penalty area as he looked to beat his man and get a shot in.

Gardner was next to be booked for a trip as Wednesday looked to win the midfield battle.

Coke was providing the craft while Gardner and Hutchinson put in the toil and Coke’s crossfield pass to Palmer was the best of the first half.

However, Yeovil had the best chance to go in front but Holmes crisp strike from the edge of the box was well-saved by Martinez down to his left.

When the Glovers did score it came through sloppy marking by the Owls who allowed MILLER space inside the area to volley past Martinez after a throw in hadn’t been cleared. Best was battling well up front for Wednesday and as he tried to score a quick equaliser the ball fell to Gardner who blazed over from 25 yards.

Wednesday were sloppy to start the second half and fell further behind six minutes after the break when MILLER was allowed time and space on the right hand side of the penalty area to curl left footed beyond the reach of Martinez into the top corner.

Owls boss Stuart Gray was quick to shake up his team by bringing on Jermaine Johnson and Nuhiu for Maguire and Gardner on 53 minutes.

Maghoma played a poor pass when he had the opportunity to free Johnson and the chance was gone.

The Glovers had claims for a penalty waved away when Onyewu looked to have tripped Lawrence.

And from the clearance Best almost capitalised on an error from Stech.

Wednesday tried to get Johnson and Nuhiu into the game but Yeovil’s workrate was outstanding as they closed down every Owls attack on a pitch that was beginning to cut up.

The home team made their first change in the 67th minute with Grant replacing the lively Holmes.

Gray made his final substitution by taking off Coke and bringing on Afobe with 21 minutes to play.

Wednesday tried to create chances but apart from one good Johnson cross they achieved very little as the game entered its final 15 minutes.

Having been booked in the 85th minute Hutchinson was cautioned for the second time four minutes later for a clumsy aerial challenge to complete a miserable afternoon for the Owls.