Mellor’s pay packet stops Owls move

editorial image
0
Have your say

Sheffield Wednesday are considering whether to launch yet another bid to sign Neil Mellor after a deal fell through over the weekend.

Owls vice-chairman and chief executive Paul Aldridge met the player’s agent last week, and a verbal agreement on a permanent deal appeared to have been made, as a fee was agreed.

But personal terms appear became an insurmountable issue with Sheffield-born Mellor, who is one of the highest paid players at the Lancashire club.

Wednesday are clearly not going to pay over what they consider is an appropriate League One salary as they attempt to keep a steady hand on the tiller.

Mellor who spent last season on loan at Hillsborough, seems resigned to starting pre-season training with Preston, instead.

PNE chairman Maurice Lindsay said: “Wednesday have failed to agree terms with the player and at this stage he will be coming back at the end of June to Preston.”

The 28-year-old scored 20 goals while on loan with Wednesday and fans will want to know who, now, can do a similar job next term.

Mellor has a year left on his Preston contract and would, if a way of bridging the financial gap could be found, prefer to join Wednesday for the start of their pre-season training on June 29.

It has yet to be revealed whether or not out-of-contract trio James O’Connor, Jermaine Johnson and Lewis Buxton are to accept the Owls’ new offers to them.

As contracts run out on June 30 the time is coming when decisions will be made.

Owls boss Gary Megson has already said that he expects the market to hot up later in the summer.

But Megson is pleased to have made two early signings, of Swindon midfield player David Prutton and Scunthorpe centre half Rob Jones.