Full time: Sheffield Wednesday 0 AFC Bournemouth 2

editorial image
Have your say

A disastrous nine minute spell saw the Owls blasted out of sight by new Championship leaders Bournemouth at Hillsborough.

After going down to ten men on the hour mark when Royston Drenthe received a second yellow card, two goals in a four minute period from Andrew Surman and Ryan Fraser put the visitors on course for a sixth consecutive league win and the summit of the Championship.

Owls Tom Lees beats Bournemouths Callum Wilson

Owls Tom Lees beats Bournemouths Callum Wilson

Dutch winger Drenthe received a second yellow card on the hour mark for a foul on Marc Pugh.

And five minutes later Wednesday found themselves behind when Surman curled a left-footed shot past Keiren Westwood.

Then on 69 minutes, Bournemouth surged on a counterattack with Callum Wilson playing in in substitute Fraser who coolly slotted the ball past Westwood.

It had been a decent start to the second half for the Owls after a goalless first period.

Osls Royston Drenthe fires in a shot

Osls Royston Drenthe fires in a shot

Drenthe sent in a corner with Tom Lees sending a looping header which bounced off the top of the bar.

Wednesday had a big let off on 57 minutes with Callum Wilson fluffing his lines in a glorious position inside the box.

Brett Pitman played Wilson into space but his shot was poor and flew wide of the target.

Stuart Gray’s men faced increasing threat from Bournemouth in the first half but there were no goals in the first half at Hillsborough.

Owls Chris Maguire with Bournemouths Steve Cook

Owls Chris Maguire with Bournemouths Steve Cook

Wednesday started much the brighter and crafted several chances without ever really testing Cherries keeper Artur Boruc.

But it was the visitors who would finish the half much the stronger as they looked to grasp the opportunity to go top in the Championship.

Drenthe was the Owls most lively player in the early stages.

Fresh from his first goal for the club against Charlton on Saturday, the Dutch winger showed real intent to add to his tally inside the first ten minutes.

He twice tested the reactions of Boruc with shots from the edge of the area but the former Celtic keeper proved more than equal to the efforts.

The Owls pressed really well in midfield, looking to stifle one of the Championship’s most threatening teams and one that came to S6 flying after five consecutive league wins.

It took 18 minutes for the Cherries to register their first attempt on goal with Marc Pugh flicking a header from a Matt Ritchie cross which was comfortably dealt with by Westwood.

Jacques Maghoma drew the best save of the first 20 minutes from Boruc after cutting inside from the left.

And Giles Coke headed wide from a Drenthe cross on the midpoint of the half.

Clear cut chances were few and far between over the first half hour but Bournemouth went close on 31 minutes.

Westwood produced a fine save at the second attempt to deny Wilson who was played into space by Simon Francis.

The Cherries grew increasingly threatening as the half wore on and Pugh drilled over the par from the edge of the area.

And Ritchie drew a simple stop from Westwood with a low drive on 34 minutes.

Maghoma brought some much needed signs of a spark at the other end after capping a decent run with a powerful effort that flew wide.

But Bournemouth were back threatening soon after when Brett Pitman played in Wilson who could only shoot over on the angle.

Westwood produced a stunning save to keep out Ritchie from 25 yards, tipping the ball over the bar two minutes from the break.


The Owls made two changes to the side that drew at Charlton as they prepared for the visit of high flying Bournemouth to Hillsborough.

Out went Jose Semedo and the injured Joe Mattock with Kieran Lee and Giles Coke coming in to the side.

Jeremy Helan switched from midfield to left back to cover Mattock’s absence.

As for the visitors, Eddie Howe named an unchanged Bournemouth side for the fifth consecutive league tie as he looked to continue the Cherries’ excellent run of form.

Bournemouth have won five straight Championship matches to go second in the table.

Owls: Westwood, Palmer, Lees, Loovens, Helan, Drenthe, Lee, Coke, Maghoma, Maguire, Nuhiu.

Subs: Kirkland, Young, Dielna, Semedo, McCabe, Taylor-Fletcher, May.

Bournemouth: Boruc, Francis, Cook, Elphick, Daniels, Ritchie, Surman, Arter, Pugh, Pitman, Wilson.

Subs: Camp, Smith, Harte, Gosling, Fraser, Kermorgant, Rantie

Referee: Mike Dean (Wirral)