‘Everyone has to take responsibility’

Febian Brandy (left) and James Meredith during last weekend's Yorkshire derby at Bradford City � BLADES SPORTS PHOTOGRAPHY
Febian Brandy (left) and James Meredith during last weekend's Yorkshire derby at Bradford City � BLADES SPORTS PHOTOGRAPHY
0
Have your say

Every member of his starting eleven is responsible for ensuring Sheffield United translate territory and chances into goals, David Weir has insisted.

Despite creating numerous opportunities during recent outings against Colchester and Bradford City, the South Yorkshire club will enter Saturday’s fixture with MK Dons searching for its first win since beating Notts County on the opening weekend of the new League One campaign.

Weir, who hopes to bolster the attacking options at United’s disposal before next month’s transfer deadline, conceded the clinical finishing of Nahki Wells “proved the difference” following their defeat at Valley Parade five days ago.

Although Lyle Taylor, a summer signing from Falkirk, will spearhead attempts to redress the balance when Karl Robinson’s side visit Bramall Lane, the former Scotland international is adamant others must also contribute in and around the opposition box.

“It’s not just down to the strikers,” Weir said. “Everyone has got to make sure they help out in that regard.

“We’ve been encouraged with various aspects of our performances but, naturally, there are always areas where you can improve and obviously that is one of them.

“The more threats you have going forward the better.”

Weir, who has been monitoring Elazigspor’s Jake Jervis, is convinced that Taylor will blossom into a goalscorer of note but United’s scouting department has been charged with identifying potential targets capable of easing the burden on his 23-year-old shoulders.

Wells, who scored both of City’s goals last weekend, was closely monitored by United earlier this year before they conceded his spiralling valuation meant the Bermudan was out of reach. Queens Park Rangers are reportedly considering a £3m bid.

As The Star revealed yesterday, Callum Wilson boasts plenty of admirers among United’s staff with Steven Pressley, Weir’s counterpart at Coventry City, yesterday confirming they have received an enquiry for the 21-year-old before insisting “only a ridiculous offer” will prise him away.

“I have spoken to Callum of late and he’s very happy at this club,” Pressley said. “It’s important for him to realise that he’s only at the start of his journey.”

Weir refused to be drawn on United’s interest in Wilson, who has scored five goals in as many games, when the matter was raised during his weekly media briefing.

“Yes, I watched Coventry at the weekend,” Weir said. “But both teams scored four goals so there was plenty of attacking talent on show.”