TUESDAY: Rotherham United 0 Torquay 1

editorial image
Have your say

ROTHERHAM United saw their Play-off hopes suffer another blow with a home defeat against promotion chasing Torquay United.

Gulls goalkeeper Robert Olejnik was in inspired form for the visitors as he kept the Millers as bay after Lee Mansell had given his team the lead.

The Millers, playing their second home match in three days, needed another win to keep on the coat tails of the Play-off positions.

And they began well with a succession of crosses by Mark Bradley and Gareth Evans. Ben Pringle also had an early shot saved by Olejnik.

But it was the Gulls who took the lead on 26 minutes through Mansell. The midfielder got on the end of a Kevin Nicholson cross to head home his 12th goal of the season.

Rotherham pushed to equalise with a Lewis Grabban shot being blocked by Nicholson and the Evans being denied by Olejnik.

Although the Millers had the bulk of possession they never had the cutting edge in the first half as Torquay went into the break one goal up.

Olejnik was doing his best to deny Rotherham with two excellent saves from Evans early in the second half.

And the 25-year-old Austrian was at it again just after the hour as he brilliantly saved from Grabban.

The match went into a bit of a rut midway through the second half with chances at a premium for both sides. Torquay looked solid and well worth their lead.

Millers boss Andy Scott made a change in the 70th minute with skipper Danny Harrison making way for Danny Schofield.

The substitution didn’t have an immediate effect as first Rhys Taylor was called into action by the Gulls Ryan Jarvis and then Mansell nearly doubled the visitors advantage but shot wide from just inside the box.

Ryan Cresswell replaced Michael Raynes in the 85th minute to make a welcome return to the first team.

However, even Cresswell’s arrival couldn’t break the Millers’ duck in front of goal as Revell’s shot in the last minute was saved again by Olejnik.

ROTHERHAM UNITED: R Taylor; Bradley, Raynes, Mullins, Wood; Pringle, J Taylor, Harrison, Evans; Revell, Grabban. Subs: Tonge, Cresswell, Schofield, Cadogan, Warrington.

TORQUAY UNITED: Olejnik; Oastler, Ellis, Saah, Nicholson; Mansell, Lathrope, Stevens, Morris; O’Kane; Lowe. Subs: Rice, Rowe-Turner, Jarvis, MacDonald, Atieno.

Referee: Gary Sutton (Notts)