Boss Paul Warne has added a midfielder with an eye for goal to his list of Rotherham United summer targets as he accepts his battle to hang on to loan star Tom Adeyemi is almost certain to end in defeat.
Adeyemi hit seven goals in 30 matches for the Millers this season and Warne has made a “substantial” offer to the 25-year-old, who is out of contract at parent club Cardiff City, in a bid to keep him
But the manager, preparing for life in League One after Rotherham’s relegation, is turning elsewhere because he knows that Adeyemi is attracting interest from Championship sides and the midfield man doesn’t want to drop out of the second tier.
“I am looking for a goalscoring midfielder to replace Tom and support Lee Frecklington in that role,” he confirmed.
Cardiff-based Adeyemi plans to decide on his future in the next month or so.
Warne, also in the market for three strikers and “one or two” centre-halves, wants to begin his summer recruitment as soon as he can and it’s possible there will be developments this week.
He is aiming to have the majority of his new boys in place by the time the Millers head off on their pre-season tour to Austria on July 9.
“ideally, I would take my 20-man squad all together then,” he said. “I know life isn’t as perfect as that, but I would like to think that the majority of my signings will be in by then, because what we do in pre-season is crucial.
“I want most of them to be part of the whole five weeks. We are doing everything possible to get that done.”
Rotherham have still to announce whether out-of-contract trio centre-half Richard Wood, left-back Joe Mattock and midfielder Richie Smallwood have accepted new deals.
Some contracted players are expected to leave as Warne, who took the hot-seat permanently last month, rebuilds for the 2017/18 campaign, with central defenders Kirk Broadfoot and Aimen Belaid thought to be among those most vulnerable.
“I’ve told a few individuals that they are not really part of our plans and, if they want more game-time, they might want to have a look out there now and see what is available,” the boss said.
“I am just being honest and up front. I don’t want lads to come back and give everything in pre-season and then have a limited chance of playing.
“I am not going to publicly announce them, but there are a few names that might well leave before we come back for pre-season.”