Rotherham United are ready to smash their transfer record before the start of the next Championship season under ambitious boss Alan Stubbs.
A big offer has already been made for one of the Millers’ main targets as chairman Tony Stewart backs his new manager.
“We have got a couple of bids in for players. One of them is significant,” Stubbs said. “We’re just waiting to hear back from them. What positions? Important positions!”
The previous highest fee Rotherham have paid is the reported £400,000 it cost them to land Jonson Clarke-Harris from Oldham two years ago.
When Stubbs was asked by The Star if he thought the record would be broken in the next few weeks, the 44-year-old replied: “Yes, I would. Considerably.”
The Millers are being linked with Walsall striker Tom Bradshaw, but Stubbs, who wants his side to be pushing for the top 10 next year, fended off questions about the 23-year-old Welsh international.
“No comment! You can read into that what what you want, rightly or wrongly,” he said. “I can’t speak about individuals who are still at football clubs. It would be wrong to do that.
“I know the media have a job to do and I fully appreciate that, but as a football club we want to try to do our business the right way. All I will say is that we are trying to be very active right now.”
Former Newcastle United defender or midfielder Ryan Taylor is training with the club and the 31-year-old free agent will be with the Millers when they head abroad on Sunday for a week-long trip which includes two games.
“Ryan is a friend of mine,” Stubbs said. “He’s been in training with us for a couple of days.
“It’s something we’re looking at and he’s going to come to Poland with us next week. If he impresses, it’s an option.”
Rotherham are thought to be interested in Brighton midfielder Jake Forster-Caskey.
The 22-year-old, who made 34 appearances in the Seagulls’ 2013/2014 Championship play-off season two three years ago, has a year left on his contract but has been out of favour under Chris Hughton and needs to revive his career away from the Amex Stadium.
Stubbs began his recruitment last week with the signing of young winger Anthony Forde from Walsall and says he is “relaxed” as he looks to bring in more new faces.
“We’ve been waiting on one for over a week now and it’s getting towards the stage where we will have to move on sooner or later,” he said.
“But on some of them, I’ve got to say I am prepared to wait a little bit longer because they will be worth the wait if we can get them.”
One player who won’t be heading to AESSEAL New York Stadium is 20-year-old Hibernian hot-shot Jason Cummings who scored 25 goals in 49 appearances for the Scottish FA Cup champions last term when Stubbs was in charge at Easter Road.
Stubbs was adamant when he was unveiled as Rotherham boss on June 2 that he wouldn’t raid his former club for players and is remaining true to his word.
“I won’t go back for Jason,” he confirmed. “I’ve said all along I wouldn’t be going back. I’m not about to change my mind. I know we’ve been linked with him over the last few days. It’s certainly not come from us.”
Stubbs confirmed that Lee Frecklington, who signed a contract extension this week, will wear the captain’s armband next season.