Rotherham United: Millers striker bids stall

Darren Potter
Darren Potter
0
Have your say

Rotherham United are turning to new striker targets after being frustrated in their pursuit of two frontmen they tabled offers for.

The Millers still hope that bids they made last month will lead to deals being struck, but so far the teams involved haven’t been persuaded to sell.

“They have gone a little bit cold,” assistant manager Richie Barker admitted.

“It wasn’t to do with the financial offers from us. There were contractual issues with the clubs they are playing for. It was just circumstances, so they are not really moving on.

“Nothing is ever dead. We are always trying to resurrect things. Things change on a daily basis. We are still monitoring it.

“Our targets do change; not drastically, but sometimes suddenly someone who you didn’t think was available becomes available and you have to explore those opportunities.”

Richie Barker

Richie Barker

One player Rotherham would like to bring to New York Stadium is Darren Potter who has left MK Dons after six years in Buckinghamshire.

Barker knows Potter well, having been No 2 at Stadium MK while the 32-year-old was there, and suggested the former Sheffield Wednesday midfielder’s name when he teamed up with Millers manager Paul Warne at the end of last season.

“I worked with him for a few years or so. He is someone I think highly of,” Barker said. “I enjoyed working with him and he is definitely someone I would recommend to the club.

“If there is an opportunity, we will speak to him. He has several offers. We are one of them, so if something comes of it, then great. He knows what I think of him. He is someone I put to the club.”

Richie Smallwood

Richie Smallwood

Rotherham will be in League One next season following their Championship relegation. Potter, who came through the ranks at Liverpool FC, has extensive experience in both divisions and played 41 times for the third-tier MK Dons last term.

Rotherham parted company with a midfield man of their own this week as out-of-contract Richie Smallwood rejected a new deal.

“The club worked as hard as possible to keep him,” Barker said. “He decided that his future is elsewhere. He is well within his rights to do that.

“We made him the best offer we could make him. I know he was quite popular with the fans, but the club will move on. He has obviously got offers elsewhere and we wish him all the best for the future.”

Left-back Joe Mattock and centre-half Richard Wood, who were also at the end of their deals, have agreed two-year and one-year packages respectively.

“He is one of three players we made an offer to,” Barker added. “Two have signed, so that is probably not a bad percentage.”

Central defender Aïmen Belaïd has been called up by Tunisia for their home Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Egypt on June 11.