Rotherham United boss Steve Evans insists the club are undaunted by the prospect of going head to head with the big spenders in the Championship.
Some of the clubs in the second tier have been investing millions on pre-season new recruits.
But Evans says the Millers, after two promotions in two years, are ready for what’s ahead.
“We know what’s coming up in the Championship,” he declared.
“The size of the challenge is highlighted by a club, Fulham, spending £11.2 million on one player in striker Ross McCormack.
“But we don’t preoccupy overselves over it. We concentrate on ourselves and what we need to do.”
The Millers manager warned that the Cottagers won’t be the only club splashing the cash before league battle commences next month.
“Other teams will be spending big as well,” he said. “Teams like Cardiff.
“You can see Stuart Gray at our neighbours, Sheffield Wednesday, is starting to bring people in, and I expect Stuart Pearce at Nottingham Forest will buy players.
“Brighton and Hove Albion are another team with a big budget, and Wigan have been spending too.”
The Millers boss has brought in 11 new players of his own, but so far only one has cost the club any money.
They broke their transfer record to sign striker Jordan Bowery, and Evans expects to spend again before the season starts on August 9.
Rotherham made a bid several weeks ago for Swindon Town midfielder Massimo Luongo which the Robins publicly rejected last week.
And Evans says another bid, which would again smash the club’s transfer record, has been made for a young, hungry striker.