Rotherham United match report: Greenock Morton 0 Rotherham United 1

Match action from Greenock Morton
Match action from Greenock Morton
Have your say

Rotherham United made a winning start to their pre-season tour of Scotland with a comfortable 1-0 victory over Greenock Morton at Cappileow Park.

Rotherham United made a winning start to their pre-season tour of Scotland with a comfortable 1-0 victory over Greenock Morton at Cappileow Park.

Last season’s top marksman, Kieran Agard, picked up from where he left off last year by scoring the only goal of the game, as the Millers dominated possession for long periods of their pre-season curtain-raiser.

Nine of Steve Evans’ summer recruits were on show for the Millers die-hard fans who made the lengthy journey over the border, but the Millers chief had to make do without Captain Craig Morgan, Kirk Broadfoot and Matt Derbyshire who picked up knocks in training.

While Evans admitted their absence was precautionary, it allowed Kari Arnason, a week behind in pre-season due to his commitments to Iceland, a full 90 minutes of football which he completed with consummate ease.

Typical of a pre-season opener, both sides looked a little rusty during the opening exchanges before the Millers started to take control of proceedings. Wembley hero Alex Revell started to give the Morton back four problems and it was his knockdown in the ninth minute that almost sent new signing Conor Newton through on goal, but Morton stopper Derek Gaston snuffed out the danger.

On 17 minutes another new recruit, Ryan Hall, drifted a teasing corner kick to the far post but Arnason could only head over after he ghosted beyond the non-existent Morton marking.

Moments later it was Revell again involved when he guided Joe Skarz’s deep centre towards goal only to see his header cannon off the outside of the post.

By now the Millers were in full control, dictating the play as their opponents began to chase shadows. Fraser Richardson’s run down the right ended with a perfect cross for Hall whose side-footed effort was well held by Gaston.

On 29 minutes the Millers deservedly broke the deadlock through a familiar avenue. Skarz again provided the ammunition from the left, finding the head of Agard, who angled his header beyond Gaston and into the far corner.

Evans made eight changes at the interval but the second half mirrored the first as the Millers monopolised possession for long periods. One of those substitutes, Febian Brandy, came close on the hour mark but he guided Richard Brindley’s cross just wide of the far post.

After Revell went close with a shot from just inside the area, the Millers then produced their best chance of the half. A wonderful cross from Paul Green picked out Richard Wood but his powerful header was straight at Gaston who saved.

Record signing Jordan Bowery had a header off target late on while at the other end the Millers back four remained untroubled as Evans’ side eased to a straightforward win.

Morton: Gaston (Trialist 82); Kilday (Knight 87), Miller (Hands 84), Crighton, Trialist, McKee (Trialist 74), McCluskey (Russell 84), Milojevic, Trialist (O’Ware 57), Barrowman (Trialist 66), Bachirou (Trialist 83). Subs not used: Ferris, Caraux.

Rotherham United: Collin (Loach HT), Richardson (Brindley HT), Arnason, Wood, Skarz (Sadler HT), Hall (Pringle HT), Frecklington (Milsom HT), Tidser (Green HT), Newton (Brandy HT), Revell, Agard (Bowery HT).

Referee: Alan Newlands.

Attendance: 598.