ROTHERHAM United chairman Tony Stewart has issued a hands-off warning to neighbours Sheffield United and other potential suitors lining up a January transfer raid for leading scorer Lewis Grabban.
The Blades, in fifth position in League One, want to strengthen their forward line having seen loan duo Billy Clarke and Matt Phillips return to Blackpool last week.
United are short of pace up front and in the wide positions and The Star understands Grabban is on their radar.
Wilson watched the Millers at home to Burton Albion just four days after the Blades had played at Don Valley Stadium last month and it is thought he was checking out the 23-year-old.
Since arriving on a free transfer from Brentford in the summer, Grabban has fired 11 goals in 20 starts, including a brace at Barrow last weekend.
Stewart says the club have received no approach for Grabban, who can operate on either flank or as a striker.
“There is no truth behind the speculation whatsoever,” he said.
“We have got some gems as well as Lewis and I have no doubts they will attract predators, but as far as I am concerned my job is to make sure we keep our best players as we are going for promotion whether through the play-offs or automatically.
“We have not been contacted by anyone over Lewis and, if we were approached, we would tell them this is our team and we are moving forward as one and we would turn it down.”
Sheffield Wednesday are also thought to be Grabban admirers but boss Gary Megson has distanced himself from reports linking the club with the Rotherham ace. When quizzed about Grabban after the Owls’ win at Morecambe, he said: “I don’t know anything about that.”
Grabban would command a six-figure fee should there be firm interest. He is contracted to Rotherham until 2013.