Match Report: Tranmere Rovers 1 Rotherham United 2

Wes Thomas fires a shot across goal from wide on the right
Wes Thomas fires a shot across goal from wide on the right
Have your say

A double from Alex Revell capped another fine away performance by the Millers and they well deserved the win, their ninth away from the New York Stadium.

There were plenty of splendid individual performances in an excellent and confident team effort in which they both played confident football and dug in.

They were comfortable too until a late Tranmere rally which saw them pull one back just before four minutes of stoppage time.

After praising his side’s display, manager Steve Evans revealed he expects to hear today the outcome of a club record offer for a player, the clubs having agreed a fee.

The player is believed to be from a Championship club and although Evans refused to give any details about the player or the fee, there is speculation the Millers’ bid tops £300,000.

The Millers had four changes with Lee Frecklington, Claude Davis, Mark Bradley and, for his first start, Wes Thomas in.

In fact, Thomas thought he’d given the Millers an early lead when sharply finishing a Ben Pringle cross but the narrowest of offside decisions ruled it out.

Thomas was certainly lively early on, having an effort blocked and almost putting Kieran Agard clear.

Ronnie Moore’s side were difficult to penetrate as they funnelled back and something special almost provided a goal.

James Tavernier cut in, hit a thunderous right foot effort from 25 yards and Fon Williams just managed to thrust up an arm and the ball rocketed away.

Alex Revell fired over before the Millers built more pressure which culminated in them going in front.

Davis headed just over from Pringle’s cross before Frecklington’s 25 yarder was turned behind at full stretch by Fon Williams. The corner was punched out, Agard retrieved it and received a class, first time return pass from Arnason. It put the winger in the area and his low ball was rifled in by Revell from 12 yards.

It was a deserved lead and Frecklington curled over from 18 yards just after.

The predatory Ryan Lowe produced Tranmere’s first threat, sneaking in but Adam Collin just got his hand on the shot.

Then, right on half-time, Rotherham were denied a clear penalty. Agard burst into the area, nudged the ball on as Matt Pennington challenged and was brought crashing down. The ref indicated the Rovers defender got the ball but it looked to everyone that Agard got the touch and Rotherham were fuming when the half-time whistle went seconds later.

Just 45 seconds after the restart Thomas wasted a great chance. Revell nodded down and Thomas, six yards out, somehow put it wide. Agard’s 22 yarder brought a fine save but Rotherham were not to be denied and on 64 minutes they got the second.

Arnason put Thomas clear. He should have scored but his effort came back off the keeper and Revell closed in to ram home from the edge of the area.

Belatedly, the home side began to push men forward in the latter stages and in the 90th minute Andy Robinson headed in after his first effort from a corner came off the bar. But, make no mistake, the win was clearcut.

Goals: Revell (39, 64) for Rotherham; Robinson (90) for Tranmere.

TRANMERE ROVERS: Fon Williams 8; Pennington 6, Taylor 6, Arthurworrey 6, Horwood 6; Kirby 5 (Robinson 59, 6), Wallace 6, Jennings 5 (Koumas 74), Kennedy 6 (Stockton 78); Cassidy 5, Lowe 5. Subs not used: Holmes, Goodison, Power, Mooney.

ROTHERHAM UTD: Collin 6; Bradley 8, Davis 8, Arnason 8, Tavernier 8; Agard 8, Frecklington 8 (Vuckic 88), Milsom 7 (Smallwood 71), Pringle 7; Revell 8, Thomas 6 (O’Connor 81). Subs not used: Skarz, Turgot, Hitchcock, Thompson.

referee: Darren Drysdale (Lincs)

attendance: 3,777