MATCH REPORT: Rotherham United 0 York City 1

Noble art: Midfield man Mark Noble in possession for the Millers last night.          Picture: Steve parkin
Noble art: Midfield man Mark Noble in possession for the Millers last night. Picture: Steve parkin
Have your say

MILLERS followers would certainly have welcomed the same result and ultimate ending as when these two clubs last met in this competition.

Then it was the Auto Windscreens Shield in 1996 and, having seen off York, all Millers fans know that their favourites went on to a Wembley triumph.

However, here they suffered a night of frustration, a first competitive defeat at the new ground and an exit from the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy to a goal 10 minutes from time.

Steve Evans made a few changes and in came Warrington, Mullins, Taylor, Ainsworth, Revell and Agard.

York, defending in numbers, looked to spring out from their 4-1-4-1 formation and when they did so after 21 minutes it cost Rotherham a player.

Bradley went across to challenge Walker, and stayed down. Noble went on and Taylor moved to right-back.

Rotherham’s first opportunity came when keeper Ingham picked up a back pass from Carlisle 12 yards out. The free-kick was tapped to Evans but the shot couldn’t get through the massed blue shirts inside the six yard area.

Taylor, raiding from right-back, struck a deflected 25 yarder which Agard almost turned in.

When Taylor appeared to be fouled moving into the area the decision was ‘play on’ from ref Richard Clark who was the linesman to award a goal at Bradford against the Millers two years ago when the ball never crossed the line!

The winner came on 80 minutes when Blair pounced after a Walker shot was blocked. Rotherham went straight upfield but Nardiello failed to lob Ingham. Then Ingham made a fantastic save from Nardiello’s diving header and, with three minutes left, Revell put a header inches over as Rotherham tried to take it to penalties.

ROTHERHAM UNITED: Warrington, Bradley (Noble 21), Sharps, Mullins, Wilson; Ainsworth (Nardiello 78) Taylor, O’Connor (Pringle ht) Evans; Revell, Agard. Subs: Odejayi, Denton.

YORK CITY: Ingham; Oyebanjo, C Smith, Carlisle, Taylor; Parslow; Blair, J,Smith, McLaughlin, Coulson; , Walker (Challinor 90). Subs: Musselwhite, Bullock, McReady, Fyfields.

Goal: Blair (80)

Referee: Richard Clark (Northumberland).

Attendance: 3,975.