Match report: Coventry City 0 Rotherham United 3

Nouha Dicko goes on the attack on his debut for the Millers against Coventry City
Nouha Dicko goes on the attack on his debut for the Millers against Coventry City
Have your say

This was flagged up as a big challenge for the Millers and considering Coventry’s record at their temporary home at Sixfields, it was no idle boast.

Their home record is littered with goals... a five, fours and a few threes and Rotherham knew they had to be on the ball against a side who played with pace and movement and always looked to do things quickly.

Well, they were right on the ball and will be absolutely delighted with this splendid win secured by a diligent, hard working and accomplished performance with everyone doing their bit and more to shut out the prolific home side.

Then they showed a killer instinct in the second half with a first goal for on loan Nouha Dicko - and very sharply taken too - to set them up before Alex Revell and a Kieran Agard penalty put three excellent points in the bag.

Dicko, in for his first start, was sharp and lively and involved in all three goals.

There was a double blow before the start for the Millers with Michael O’Connor out with a groin injury and his intended replacement Rob Milsom injured during the warm-up. It meant Michael Tidser came into midfield and he justified his inclusion with a tidy display.

Coventry, without the injured Leon Clarke, fired an early warning shot when Billy Daniels struck an effort wide from 18 yards. Dicko showed his pace with a tricky run which earned a free-kick. Ben Pringle curled it in hard and low, it went through a glut of players and Joe Murphy reacted superbly at the last second to save.

Rotherham, with Kari Arnason in imperious form, kept the home side at bay apart from one sharp break midway through the first half.

Callum Wilson got away but scuffed his shot as Joe Skarz got back at him and the full back blocked the shot. Wilson then played the loose ball to the other side of the area and Carl Baker had a fine chance but Skarz, one of three players inside the six yard area, blocked that shot too.

Rotherham kept the home side at arm’s length and struck on 58 minutes.

Initially Agard won possession, it went via Tidser and Skarz for Pringle to whip in a cross and Dicko reacted quickly to divert the ball beyond Murphy.

Dicko was involved in the second goal too on 69 minutes. Again Pringle delivered from the left and Dicko’s header across goal was nodded home by Revell who had virtually been ruled out on Monday by Steve Evans.

Four minutes later it certainly was all over. Dicko, jinking into the area, was tripped by Webster and Agard sent Murphy the wrong way from the spot.

Ten minutes from time, Adam Collin made an excellent save from Wilson - his first save and an indication of how Rotherham shut out the Sky Blues.

It’s their second successive 3-0 away win and Steve Evans is expected to make a signing today with Mark Bradley set to be out for around a month with a groin injury.

COVENTRY CITY: Murphy 6, Phillips 6, Webster 6, Clarke 7, Adams 6, Daniels 6 (Christie 65), Baker 6, Fleck 6, Thomas 6, Moussa 5, Wilson 6. Subs: Burge, Garner, Haynes, Maund, Baker-Richardson, Lawton.

ROTHERHAM UTD: Collin 8, Brindley 8, Arnason 9, Morgan 9, Skarz 9, Agard 8 Frecklington 8 (Mills 90+1) Tidser 8, Pringle 8 Revell 8 (Davis 90+1) Dicko 9 (Tubbs 90). Unused: Shearer, Milsom.

Goals: Dicko (58), Revell (69), Agard (pen 73).

referee: Jonathan Moss (West Yorkshire)

attendance: 1,961