Hanley delight as his Dons cage Panthers

Blackpool 12 Doncaster 54 DONCASTER coach Ellery Hanley was delighted that his side kept a clean sheet for 25 second half minutes with only 12 men to claim a second National League Two win on the bounce against Blackpool Panthers yesterday.

The Dons ran in nine tries in an impressive showing at the Woodlands Memorial Ground to back up their 56-0 Good Friday mauling of London Skolars.

The only blemish was the sending off, after 55 minutes, for ex-Leeds winger Wayne Reittie for dissent.

Luke Gale and Corey Lawrie both grabbed two tries, while Jason Hart, Zebastian Luisi, Alex Benson, Reittie and Kyle Briggs also went over.

Stand off Briggs added 18 points with the boot, as Mark Wallace and John Clough replied for Panthers. Jon Leather added the extras to both home tries.

"I was pleased," confirmed Hanley, the former Great Britain star. "To not concede a score when we were down to 12 men was a top effort.

Doncaster raced into a 24-0 lead after only 21 minutes thanks to tries from Gale, who opened the scoring after just two minutes, Briggs, Hart and Lawrie.

They were able to exploit acres of space in the Blackpool defensive - and it was all too easy. In fact, at that stage, a century of points was certainly not out of reach.

But the hosts hit back with gusto.

What do you think? Post your comments below.

Martin Crompton's men may have a wretched losing streak of 45 games on the bounce in league and cup action - but they are not as bad as that.

Wallace and Clough responded within the space of eight minutes, on 28 on 36, to halve the deficit at the break.

And Hanley explained: "We were brilliant in the opening 20 minutes, but that could have been our downfall too. We started playing magic balls into too much traffic and that invited them into our front room."

Blackpool began the second half confidently - but just could not score, mainly due to some stubborn Doncaster defensive work.

Reittie then hit the Panthers with the sucker punch on 50 minutes when he gathered a pin point cross field up and under to touch down in the left corner. Briggs kicked for 30-12.

But Reittie's afternoon immediately took a turn for the worse. There was actually mass confusion when referee Matthew Kidd brandished the red card.

Not even Hanley could give the exact reason at full-time - and he didn't even want to know what it was for. But the Castleford official later revealed the offence.

From then on it was all about the Dons, with Kiwi centre Zeb Luisi scoring the pick of four more tries when he ran from midway inside the Blackpool half, beginning on the right wing, to touch down.


Leather, Kirkby, Mayberry, Kilgannon, Tabb, Ashe, Ashton, Warriner, Clough, Jones, Kay, Murfin, Boland. Replacements (all used): Andy Wallace, Mike Wallace, Barton, Tunstead.


Bauer, Colton, Luisi, McKenna, Reittie, Briggs, Gale, Benson, Lawrie, Castle, Buttery, Hart, Peter Green. Replacements (all used): Jones, Leaf, Crook, Lawton.


Referee: Matthew Kidd (Castleford)

Attendance: 307