Full time: Tranmere Rovers 1 Rotherham United 2

Millers Kieran Agard stretches to fire in a shot from the edge of the area. Pic: Paul Wickson.
Millers Kieran Agard stretches to fire in a shot from the edge of the area. Pic: Paul Wickson.
Have your say

Two Alex Revell goals have given Rotherham United another successful away performance with victory at Tranmere Rovers.

The Millers needed a last minute equaliser by Kieran Agard on Saturday against Crawley at the New York Stadium to earn a draw but were well worth the win at Prenton Park, which keeps them in the play-off places.

Rotherham United

Rotherham United

Wes Thomas, signed from Bournemouth until the end of the season, thought he’d put Rotherham ahead early in the match but a linesman’s flag denied him his first goal for the club.

With the rain getting heavier on Merseyside conditions became tricky for the players.

James Tavernier saw his rasping shot well saved by Owen Fon Williams on 25 minutes and Mark Bradley also had a shot dealt with by the Tanmere ‘keeper.

But the Millers did take the lead when Agard cut the ball back for Revell to fire home.

Lee Frecklington almost made it two for Rotherham before Tranmere’s best chance when former Sheffield Wednesday striker Ryan Lowe nudged the ball past Adam Collin but Tavernier cleared.

In an exciting first half injury time Agard looked to have been brought down but referee Darren Drysdale waved away the Millers protests.

On 64 minutes Revell did double the Millers lead as he smashed home after Thomas missed the ball when clear through following Kari Arnason’s clearance.

The hosts made it a nervy finish after Andy Robinson forced the ball home from a corner in the last minute.

TRANMERE ROVERS: Fon Williams; Pennington, Arthurworrey, Taylor, Horwood; Kirby, Wallace, Jennings, Kennedy; Cassidy, Lowe. Subs: Holmes, Goodison, Robinson, Stockton, Power, Koumas, Mooney.

ROTHERHAM UTD: Collin; Bradley, Davis, Arnason, Tavernier; Agard, Frecklington, Milsom, Pringle; Revell, Thomas. Subs: Skarz, O’Connor, Vuckic, Turgot, Hitchcock, Smallwood, Thompson.

Referee: Darren Drysdale (Lincs).