Bristol Rovers 1-2 Rotherham United FT

Bristol Rovers v Rotherham United - David Noble leaps in to win the ball
Bristol Rovers v Rotherham United - David Noble leaps in to win the ball
Have your say

ROTHERHAM United went third in the League Two table tonight with a deserved win at Bristol Rovers.

It was a night of sweet revenge, too.

On January 26, Steve Evans’ side went down 1-3 at home to the Avon side, and Claude Davis was sent off on his debut

But since then, the Millers have won three out of four and had hoped to advance higher up the play off pecking order in League Two.

They succeeded despite a late rally from the home side.

Rotherham were without midfielder Michael O’Conner, at the Memorial Stadium; he was serving the last match of his three-game ban.

The first half was a stalemate, where neither team could get on top.

Rotherham had enjoyed slightly the better of possession, though.

Lee Frecklington and John-Joe O’Toole had chances at either end but neither goalie was beaten before the interval.

Rotherham made a substitution, at half time with Kayode Odejayi coming on for Daniel Kearns.

Odejayi almost paid immediate dividends by getting in two half-chances.

But the 30-year-old former Barnsley front man was not to be denied and put Evans’ men 1-0 up on the hour mark, after good work from Alex Revell.

And Odejayi had a hand in the second, two minutes later, netted by Frecklington.

But Rovers fought their way back into contention.

Joe Anyinsah scored from the edge of the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal with 10 minutes left.

But Rovers couldn’t level and 334 Millers fans went home happy with three points


BRISTOL ROVERS (unchanged): (4-5-1).

Mildenhall, Smith, Parkes, McChrystal, Brown Clucas, Norburn, O’Toole, Anyinsah, Broghammer Brunt.

Subs: Gough (GK), Woodards, Clarkson, Richards, Harrison, McDonald, Hitchcock.

ROTHERHAM UNITED (one change. Agard in for Nardiello). (4-3-1-2)

Warrington Bradley, Mullins, Davis, Ridehalgh Noble, Arnason, Frecklington Kearns Revell Agard

Subs: Thompson (GK), Tonge, Slew, Pringle, Odejayi, Morgan, Cameron.

Attendance: 8146

Referee: James Linington (Newport, Isle of Wight.)

*Read Ashley Ball’s analysis of the match in Wednesday’s Star.