Ian Whitehorne says he is unsure when Sheffield FC’s transfer embargo will be lifted as the cash-strapped club battle to keep ahold of their best players.
Zeph Thomas joined Division One South rivals Mickleover Sports last week after they tripled the 24-year-old’s wages, leaving Club without a recognised striker.
Whitehorne, the Sheffield FC manager, fears more of his players may depart before the March 31 deadline, with the club having recently received approaches for captain Andy Gascoigne, James Gregory, Ben Algar, Ben Turner and Tim Whittaker. Gascoigne scored in his 200th appearance for the non league outfit in Saturday’s 2-2 draw with promotion-chasing Coalville.
Whitehorne, boasting a squad of just 17 senior players, three of whom are currently injured, has told The Star: “As far as I am aware, there has been no developments and the transfer embargo is still on and it won’t be lifted anytime soon.
“Mickleover came in for Zeph [Thomas] and tripled his wages just before Saturday’s game so we lost our only out and out striker.
“We have also had transfer requests for five more players and there’s a chance they could go. I have sat down and spoken with all of them and they have said that they intend to stay and see the season out with us, which is great for us and shows a lot of loyalty.”
Whitehorne has also confirmed Chasetown have turned down Club’s request to switch their home clash next month.
“We tried to move the game, which is on the weekend of the FA Cup semi-final, but our request was declined by Chasetown,” he said. “It has to be agreed by both clubs and they said no.”