Handsworth head for title

Have your say

HANDSWORTH maintained their six-point lead at the top of Division One with an 11th straight league victory, beating Worsbrough Bridge Athletic 2-1.

Luke Broadbent nudged Russ Eagle’s side in front in an absorbing contest and Gareth Griffith added a second on 7 minutes which proved to be the winner as Worsbrough pulled one back through James Young with 14 minutes remaining.

Dinnington Town got back on the winning trail twice coming from behind to beat Glasshoughton Welfare at Phoenix Park. Carl Fothergill gave the visitors the lead but Greg Ramsden headed home from a Michael Trench corner. Liam Radford restored Welfare’s lead but back came Dinnington once more with a Matty Smith equaliser.

Liam Cartledge put the home side in front from the penalty spot after a trip on Marin Wade. Town then had Trench sent off for a second yellow card but still increased their lead through a second Cartledge penalty. Simon Mirfin made it 5-2 with a 35-yard effort before Lee Bennett reduced the deficit.

Rossington Main earned a 1-1 draw at Pontefract Collieries. Three minutes before the break the hosts went ahead when Tom Robinson nodded in a cross. Nine minutes into the second half and Rossington levelled, Dean Sidebottom tucking away a cross from Lewis Naylor.

Askern Villa were beaten 5-1 by Teversal. Villa were in front inside two minutes when Matt Holmes scored. But the visitors hit back with two quick goals. Gary Atkins restored parity on 10 minutes with Will Harcourt getting on the end of a free-kick to put Teversal 2-1 up two minutes later. Colin Cockerill extended direct from a corner. Danny Swales then made it 4-1 on 66 minutes with Ollie Wood completing Villa’s misery with the fifth.

Parkgate saw their 13-match unbeaten home run come to a halt as they were thrashed 7-1 by Brighouse Town, the visitors leapfrogging Doug Shelley’s side into sixth in the Premier Division.

Luke Gibson gave Brighouse a lead with Tom Mathews adding a second six minutes later. Further goals inside the first 20 minutes of the second half from Matthews, Daniel Hull a Matt Griffin own-goal and Adam Wilson put the visitors out of sight.

Chris Wood netted Parkgate’s consolation on 68 minutes but Brighouse had the last word when James Sutcliffe added the seventh inside the last 10 minutes.

For the second week in a row, relegation-threatened Maltby Main grabbed a late equaliser, in a 1-1 draw at Liversedge. The home side led through a Jake Lawler 21st-minute strike but Mick Jones earned Maltby a point.