Gray to lead Clarets after Lambert snub

BURNLEY have confirmed their search for a new manager is ongoing but caretaker boss Stuart Gray will be in charge for Saturday's home clash with leaders QPR.

Norwich manager Paul Lambert turned down the chance to succeed Brian Laws at Turf Moor and Watford's Malky Mackay and Bournemouth's Eddie Howe have also been linked with the post.

Chairman Barry Kilby did not refer to specific targets but said in a statement: "Burnley Football Club is still in discussions with several parties with regard to the managerial vacancy at Turf Moor.

"Talks are ongoing and as a result I have informed caretaker manager Stuart Gray that he remains in full charge of first-team affairs for Saturday's Championship game against Queens Park Rangers at Turf Moor.''

Laws left Burnley on December 29 following the club's dismal home defeat to Scunthorpe the day previously.

Norwich have completed the signing of defender Marc Tierney from Colchester for an undisclosed fee. Canaries boss Lambert has raided his former club to land the 25-year-old left-back, who was the Us' player of the year last season. Tierney has put pen to paper on a two-and-a-half-year deal at Carrow Road and could make his debut against Cardiff on Saturday.

"He's a top lad. He was great for me at Colchester," said Lambert.

Watford striker Nathan Ellington has joined Preston on loan until the end of the season. Ellington is the club`s record transfer following his 3.25million switch from West Brom in the summer of 2007 but has endured a miserable spell at Vicarage Road.

The former Wigan man scored just five goals in 51 league appearances for the Hornets and was farmed out on loan to Derby for the entire 2008/09 season.

He began this season with Greek side FC Xanthi but returned last month.

However, manager Malky Mackay confirmed the club could not afford to pick him for selection as another appearance would trigger a further payment to West Brom and he has now joined new boss Phil Brown at Deepdale.

Jordi Lopez has cancelled the remaining six months of his contract at Swansea by mutual consent, the club have confirmed.

The Spanish midfielder, 29, revealed only last month his desire for regular first-team football having managed just one league start under new boss Brendan Rodgers.

Got a view? Leave a comment below.

CLICK HERE FOR The Star subscription offer. Use offer code STAOP0001 to get 25% off.

Follow The Star on Twitter and Facebook:

For breaking news and sport follow The Star on Twitter at www.twitter.com/sheffieldstar and Facebook at www.facebook.com/sheffieldstar.

JOIN THE STAR READER PANEL: The Star is YOUR newspaper, so tell us what you think about it and what you want to see - CLICK HERE.

Don't miss our daily pull-outs - only in the The Star: Monday Star Sport, Tuesday Class Act; Wednesday Business; Thursday Grassroots; Friday Time Out; Saturday Retro. Subscribe to The Star - CLICK HERE

READ MORE

Subscribe to The Star or Green 'Un

Visit our Matchday Centre for free live coverage of every match

ASHES GUIDE: View our FREE Ashes webmag guide online - CLICK HERE.

Football headlines. Football gossip. Blades news Owls news Reds news. Millers news. More rugby. More boxing. Sports columnists.

All sport categories

Watch Premiership highlights, international football, golf, tennis, darts and much more - click here

Back to the top of the page