Rovers: Doncaster deny Ipswich Town bid for James Coppinger

Rovers: Doncaster Rovers latest news, reports and more.

Rovers: Doncaster Rovers latest news, reports and more.

0
Have your say

Doncaster Rovers have denied reports that Ipswich Town have made a further bid for midfield star James Coppinger.

A club spokesman told The Star that no offer had been received from Ipswich just days after Coppinger said he was ‘looking forward’ to returning for pre-season training on July 4.

The Suffolk club made a joint bid of around £2.6 million for striker Billy Sharp and 30-year-old Coppinger in May and Rovers have also rebuffed a £2.8m bid, just for Sharp, on Thursday from a Championship club.

One man who can’t wait for training to begin is Sean O’Driscoll’s assistant Richard O’Kelly.

He says it is an exciting time for the club: “We have a fantastic start to the season.

“We’re the first to play at Brighton’s new stadium and then we have West Ham United and Nottingham Forest at the Keepmoat Stadium.

“We’ve been in and out of work all summer, but it all starts when everyone is back.”

Rovers midfielder Ryan Burge, who’s contract expires at the end of June, is believed to be in talks with Port Vale.

The 22-year-old signed a short-term deal with Rovers on January 31 from Glenn Hoddle’s Academy for young players in Spain.

He was allowed to go on loan to Oxford United in March and despite returning to Rovers in April now appears to be out of O’Driscoll’s plans.

n Danny Wilson has revealed that no one has asked to leave Bramall Lane following Sheffield United’s relegation from the Championship last term.

But despite dampening fears there will be a mass exodus of talent, the South Yorkshire club still concede that high earners such as Ched Evans and Darius Henderson are likely to depart before their League One campaign begins at Oldham Athletic on August 6.

Wilson, who took charge when United dispensed with Micky Adams’ services last month, has spent the past three weeks canvassing opinion among senior players aimed at discovering those determined to quit rather than face the harsh realities of life in English football’s third tier. The process is set to be concluded before July 9th’s friendly at Sheffield FC but Wilson is delighted with the response so far.

“Nobody has told me they want to leave,” he said. “And that’s good news.

“I’m not pretending there aren’t going to be changes or that means they’ll all be staying here with us because that wouldn’t be right.

“I’m not going to lie to supporters or make them false promises.

“If others come in with offers then some of those lads may well want to look closely at them.”

Back to the top of the page