Mansfield Town 0 Doncaster Rovers 1 - MATCH REPORT

Rovers' trialist Kevin McDonald in action against Mansfield.
Rovers' trialist Kevin McDonald in action against Mansfield.
Have your say

DONCASTER Rovers maintained their unbeaten pre-season record with a hard fought victory over Mansfield Town at Field Mill.

Rovers had new signing Chris Brown on debut for their first meeting with the Stags since the 2003-04 season.

The first chance of the game fell to Rovers in the sixth minute - James Hayter just clearing the bar from close range after trialist midfielder Kevin McDonald had picked him out in the box with a long ball.

McDonald shot inches wide of the left-hand post with a low effort on 23 minutes after Rovers had attacked down their left flank.

Rovers had looked solid at the back so far with full-backs Ellis Deeney and Mustapha Dumbuya looking to get forward whenever possible, but the quality of their football had yet to come close to matching that produced in the first half of Saturday’s game at Barrow.

Mansfield striker Paul Connor shot wide from the edge of the area with the Stags’ best chance to date on 34 minutes.

Rovers made their first substitution, youngster James Baxendale replacing Brown.The former Leeds United junior was soon in the action, shooting over from the edge of the area on 37 minutes.

Both trialists had acquitted themselves well in the first half.

Rovers started the second half with a completely new side.

Sharp had early claims for a penalty turned down. He also headed over from James Coppinger’s cross on 59 minutes.

Rovers had upped the tempo this half with John Oster proving an influential figure in midfield while trialist Alan Quinn showed several neat touches.

Coppinger created a chance on 75 minutes but there was no-one to get on the end of his low cross.

The lively Kyle Bennett, who had shown his pace on a couple of occasions, headed well wide from a right-wing cross on 75 minutes.

Sharp broke the deadlock on 78 minutes, poking the ball home from close range after being set up by Quinn.

Town had a late half chance but Rovers held out.