Final score: Burton Albion 0 Doncaster Rovers 3

Doncaster Rovers Richie Wellens fires a shot at goal.
Doncaster Rovers Richie Wellens fires a shot at goal.
Have your say

Doncaster Rovers cruised into the third round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy after a comprehensive 3-0 victory at Burton Albion.

Goals from Harry Forrester, Nathan Tyson and Richie Wellens sealed back-to-back away victories for Rovers.

Rovers boss Paul Dickov handed academy graduate Mitchell Lund his first senior start in one of three changes. Also coming in are Cedric Evina - back from illness - and Paul Keegan with Liam Wakefield dropping out alongside international duty-bound Dean Furman and Luke McCullough. Paul McKay is named as part of a senior matchday squad for the first time.

Burton boss Gary Rowett made the maximum five changes permitted by competition rules.

Leicester City loanee Jacob Blyth is one of the players who came in for Burton with keeper Dean Lyness, Damien McCrory, Dominic Knowles and Matty Palmer also named in the starting XI.

Jon McLaughlin, Robbie Weir, Stuart Beavon, Adam McGurk and Sheffield United loanee Callum McFadzean all dropped out.

Rovers goalkeeper Jed Steer produced a fine save to tip Alex MacDonald’s fierce show wide in the fifth minute as Burton dominated the early skirmishes.

Moments later, Knowles fired over after Lucas Akins’ strike was blocked.

Dickov’s men enjoyed plenty of possession but it took them until the 27th minute to create a meaningful opportunity, Forrester drilling a low shot across the face of goal after good build up play involving Marc De Val, Jamie Coppinger and Lund.

Midfield maestro Wellens then fed Coppinger, who jinked his way past three defenders before shooting straight at Dean Lyness.

But the pressure paid off for Rovers when Forrester put them ahead in the 32nd minute. The forward chested down Ian Sharps’ headed clearance from Coppinger’s clipped cross and volleyed home.

Wellens fluffed a good chance to extend Rovers lead, sending an effort narrowly wide after a surging run from inside his own half.

The visitors duly grabbed a second from the penalty spot in the 41st minute after John Mousinho was adjudged to have brought down Nathan Tyson. The striker picked himself up and coolly slotted home from 12 yards.

George Taft spurned a glorious chance to pull one back for the League Two side in the 58th minute when he, unmarked, nodded Jacob Blyth’s centre over the top.

Just after the hour mark, Blyth beat the off-side trap and dragged a shot off target after a lovely through ball by Matthew Palmer.

Rovers nearly notched a third in the 69th minute as Forrester’s drive was saved by Lyness, with Wellens failing to convert the rebound.

Wellens added extra gloss to the final scoreline, dinking the ball over Lyness late on after a neat lay off by substitute Theo Robinson.

Burton: Lyness, Edwards, Cansdell-Sherriff, Sharps, McCrory, Akins, Mousinho, Palmer, MacDonald, Blyth, Knowles. Subs: McLaughlin, Taft, Bell, McGurk, Harness.

Rovers: Steer, Lund, Wabara, McCombe, Evina, Keegan, De Val, Coppinger, Wellens, Forrester, Tyson. Subs: McKay, Middleton, Whitehouse, Robinson, Bennett.

Referee: Mark Brown

Attendance: 1,269