Dons grab last-gasp draw

Craig Robinson looks to hand off Andy Kain as Doncaster push to level the scores. Photo: Rob Terrace
Craig Robinson looks to hand off Andy Kain as Doncaster push to level the scores. Photo: Rob Terrace
Have your say

Doncaster grabbed a dramatic 22-22 draw in their top-of-the-table clash at Featherstone.

On-loan Hull FC centre Richard Whiting, who started his career at Rovers, touched down in the corner in the last minute of the game to level the scores.

Unfortunately for the Dons, who would have moved level on points with second-placed Rovers had they completed the double, Dave Scott’s touchline conversion was wide.

The Dons had looked likely to have to settle for a losing bonus point after hooker Kyle Kesik had what looked to be a perfectly good try disallowed and Whiting had put down a try-scoring pass during a thrilling finale.

Defeat would have been a bitter pill for the Dons to swallow after having two other tries disallowed for forward passes and bombing at least one other gilt-edged chance.

Rovers have splashed the cash in recent weeks and had five newcomers in their ranks but they struggled to match the Dons’ fluency.

The Dons took a deserved lead on eight minutes when centre Liam Welham, one of three former Featherstone players in their ranks, crossed wide out after full-back Scott had made the extra man.

There was a let-off for Rovers on 15 minutes when Welham dropped Paul Cooke’s try-scoring pass five metres out.

It only proved a stay of execution, however, with loose-forward Mike Emmett darting over for a second converted try to make it 12-0.

Rovers opened their account on 22 minutes with a third try in two games for new signing Ben Blackmore. They cut the deficit to just two points six minutes with a converted try by Danny Bridge following a break by half-back Andy Kain

The Dons regained the initiave with scrum-half Richard Wilkinson making amends for not capitalising on a try-scoring situation a minute or so earlier, when putting Whiting over from close range. Scott’s conversion gave the Dons an 18-10 lead.

Wilkinson denied Rovers a likely try in the last minute of the half, ankle-tapping debutant scrum-half Harry Siejka from behind.

Rovers scored two close-range forward tries early in the second half to lead (22-18) for the first time.

The visitors had a second try disallowed for a forward pass, while Siejka was held inches short at the other end on 58 minutes.