Talks over a proposed takeover of Rovers are expected to reach a tipping point today as the club’s major shareholders once again meet.
A decision on an offer from an Irish consortium to buy the club was expected by the middle of this week.
However, the Star understands negotiations stalled when the club’s major shareholders met at a secret location on Monday, with the deal yet to be rubber-stamped.
The major shareholders will meet again today in the hopes of reaching a decision.
The Star understands at least one member of the Irish consortium has flown into the country as talks continue.
Rovers’ major shareholders are due to meet supporters and members of the media this evening at special Meet the Owners events at the Keepmoat.
It is unknown how the events will be affected by today’s meeting.
Public acknowledgement of takeover talks has been rare
But transfer target Richie Wellens has referred to discussions when talking about his future.
Wellens said: “I’ve got a contract offer but it depends on investment coming into the club.
“If that materialises then great but it hasn’t at the moment. There are four or five clubs interested and waiting to see what happens.”
Fan group the Viking Supporters Co-operative has also acknowledged the negotiations in a statement reaffirming their intent to safeguard the club’s future.
The statement from the group – which owns a little less than one per cent of the club – included: “We are certain that the supporter base would welcome any sustainable investment to further the success of the club.
“Whilst any decision on potential external investment rests with the three major shareholders, the VSC can assure supporters that they would not make that decision without consulting us and considering our opinion.
“Fundamentally, the VSC and club are in agreement that any decision regarding future investment must be predicated on safeguarding the club for future generations with the position of the trust being a key part of this.
“The club have confirmed that negotiations are ongoing and we’ll make a statement to our members as soon as we have confirmation of how these talks conclude.”