Portsmouth are close to completing a deal for Kyle Bennett.
The 24-year-old winger, whose contract at Doncaster expires next month, held talks with new Pompey boss Paul Cook on Thursday.
Those discussions were positive and Bennett is now in line to become Cook’s first signing since quitting Chesterfield to take over at Fratton Park.
Cook was introduced to the media yesterday and confirmed he had already met with Bennett.
“I won’t comment on other club’s players, but the good thing is Kyle is out of contract and is a player we are after,” said Cook.
“He is somebody I think our supporters will love. He’s a good age, has football intelligence, can score a goal and is one on our radar.
“Kyle has been down in Portsmouth already, we met him on Thursday.
“He’s an outstanding player and one if we can get over the line can be everything that goes with being a Portsmouth player.”
Doncaster, it is thought, had been confident of keeping hold of Bennett. But should he opt to drop down a level to play in League Two it would represent something of a kick in the teeth for Rovers.
The former Bury man rebuilt his Rovers career over the last year and has just enjoyed his most consistent season to date, netting eight times and showing more of an appetite to track back.
Bennett had expressed a wish to stay at Doncaster but his relatively new status as a father will make securing a new deal a priority for him.
Last month he said: “Whatever happens in the summer happens. I’ll look forward to having a conversation with the gaffer. I want to stay. I’ve been here four years now and it’s like home to me.”