Spireites lack the killer touch

Chesterfield v Yeovil Town'Jordan Bowery lofts the ball over the keeper for his second
Chesterfield v Yeovil Town'Jordan Bowery lofts the ball over the keeper for his second
Have your say

sponsored by

CHESTERFIELD’S winless run continued but John Sheridan’s men know they should have won this game.

The Spireites have now picked up just two points from a possible 24, this one coming against a side that started the game rock bottom of League Ones.

While no game in November can be truly said to be ‘must win’, this one was as close to that as you can get at this stage of the season. The Spireites put together a performance that was far superior to that of the visitors but, yet again, they failed to be able to finish off weak opposition.

Sheridan’s men got off to a great start. Jordan Bowery fired them ahead after just four minutes. He pounced to stab home a loose ball after Craig Westcarr’s cross initially found Leon Clarke whose flick was blocked.

Totally against the run of play, Yeovil levelled. Ed Upson, by far his side’s most effective outfield player, played a wonderful through ball to the nippy Gavin Massey who outpaced his markers to slip the ball beyond debutant keeper Ole Soderberg.

Bowery, the scorer of just one league goal before this game, bagged his first senior brace with a quick-thinking finish to give the hosts a deserved lead.

Clarke played a first-time ball forwards and Bowery got free. Racing towards the bouncing ball, he was faced by the advancing Marek Stech which helped make up his mind. The striker’s only option then was to attempt to lift the ball over the keeper, which he did, and it seemed an age before it fell back down to earth and bounced in just underneath the bar, a quality finish by the 20-year-old.

Stech, who’d made a superb save to deny Bowery in the first half, surpassed that effort when he turned a powerful Simon Ford header on to the bar as Spireites went for the goal that would have ended any resistance from the visitors.

However the next, and final goal, went the way of the Glovers. Upson’s burst through midfield earned a free-kick just outside the box. No blast from the kick, just a rehearsed move as Upson played it wide to the advancing Max Ehmer.

Westcarr, in the wall, stretched to intervene but was unable to prevent Ehmer’s cross which deflected into his own goal off the legs of Mark Allott. The midfielder’s misery was compounded when he picked up a booking, the first for a Spireite in over eight and a half hours of football.

The woodwork intervened again as Alex Mendy’s looping shot struck the bar.

Sheridan rued: “We should have won it.”

Chesterfield (4-4-2): Soderberg 6, Ford 7 (Whitaker 81), Trotman 7, Mattis 7, Smith 6, Mendy 5, Allott 5, Johnson 6, Westcarr 8, Clarke 6, Bowery 7. Subs not used: Fleming, Clay, Darikwa, Downes.

Yeovil (4-4-2): Stech 8, Ehmer 6, Purse 7, N’Gala 6, Jones 5 (Gilbert 43, 6), Wotton 5, Clifford 5 (Williams 62, 6), Upson 8, Blizzard 5 (O’Brien 62, 6), Agard 5, Massey 7. Subs not used: Stewart, Gibson.

Referee: Andy Madley (West Yorks).

Booking: Allott (Chesterfield).