Match Report: Chesterfield 2 York City 2

Chesterfield v York
Chesterfield v York
Have your say

A determined Chesterfield came from two goals behind to salvage a point at home to York City. But they fell of their perch at the top of League Two.

Goals from Luke O’Neill and Ryan Jarvis had put the visitors in a commanding position but Armand Gnanduillet and Jay O’Shea wrestled the Spireites level in an inspired turnaround.

Chesterfield v York

Chesterfield v York

Paul Cook had made five changes to the starting line up that lost at home to Burton Albion and it was a tense start from Chesterfield, who were seeing a lot of the ball in the initial exchanges, but were unable to create any clear openings.

There were promising signs though with Jimmy Ryan, Sam Morsy and Gary Roberts looking assured on the ball in midfield. Jamie Devitt was lively both in and out of possession and it was from his good work down the right that led to Roberts laying one off for Gary McSheffrey to curl one over the crossbar.

A sequence of robust challenges from the visitors confirmed the Spireites’ task wasn’t going to be easy and Josh Carson thought he had a strong claim for a penalty when his shot was blocked by Liam Cooper, with the York winger appealing for handball.

Gnanduillet’s physical presence caused the visitors all sorts of problems and his downward header bounced over the bar and on to the roof of the net.

Chesterfield v York. Goal celebration Jay O'Shea

Chesterfield v York. Goal celebration Jay O'Shea

Ryan Brobbell’s driveforced an acrobatic save from Tommy Lee before York took the lead against the run of play through O’Neill’s 25-yard thunderbolt found the bottom corner. The hosts came out for the second half with a bit more purpose about them and a good turn by Gnanduillet released Devitt inside right. The winger drilled a low cross that Roberts hooked towards goal only for Danny Parslow to make the clearance yards from his line.

Roberts thought he’d brought Chesterfield level when his curling effort looked to be creeping inside the post only for Michael Ingram to stick out a hand.

Then, as they had done in the first half, York snatched one on the break.

Carson’s inviting centre drew a crowd of bodies before Jarvis headed past Lee, who got a hand to the ball, but was unable to prevent the goal.

Moments Chesterfield were given a chance to get back into the game when Roberts was clipped in the penalty area.

Gnanduillet, making his first start of the season, stepped up and smashed the ball past Ingram for his third of the campaign. The Spireites had another shout for a penalty when Roberts went to ground again, but the referee waved away their protests.

Substitute O’Shea sent the Proact Stadium into ecstasy when he pulled the hosts back level from close range.

Chesterfield rallied and put the visitors under immense pressure as they went in search of the winner, striking the post late on before Gnanduillet headed over with the goal gaping.