MATCH REPORT: Chesterfield 1 Oldham Athletic 1

Down and out: Alex Mendy is tackled by Oldham's Josh Parker.            Picture: Sarah washbourn
Down and out: Alex Mendy is tackled by Oldham's Josh Parker. Picture: Sarah washbourn
Have your say

Chesterfield went a 15th game without victory, taking the lead but succumbing to another stoppage time equaliser.

Unlike at Scunthorpe on Saturday, the leveller was in additional time at the end of the first half but it was a goal that should have been prevented.

After an edgy start to the game, Jordan Bowery fired Spireites in front but a goal from Matty Smith meant the sides changed ends on level terms.

John Sheridan made just one change to the side. Dean Morgan (hamstring) was missing so Simon Ford came in. Gregor Robertson switched to right back and Nathan Smith was on the left of midfield.

Oldham had managed to sign Robbie Simpson, Latics’ hat-trick scorer against Chesterfield in November, in the morning of the match after his loan ended last month, so he was one of 4 changes to their side. Former Owls striker Shefki Kuqi and Man City loanee Luca Scapuzzi picked up knocks in the 3-2 win over Notts County so were on the bench. Drew Talbot pulled a shot wide early on and Alex Mendy forced Alex Cisak into a save from a decent right sided cross.

Tom Adeyemi made a hash of an attack after Neal Trotman’s error, failing to deliver a shot when free in an error strewn opening. Clarke headed over from a Simpson free-kick as both sides struggled. Smith managed a shot that was easy for Tommy Lee as Athletic enjoyed slightly more of the ball than their hosts.

Filipe Morais won a corner after three failed attempts to clear the ball and Danny Whitaker had to hack Simpson’s flag kick off the line after Craig Westcarr air-shot at the near post. From the goal kick, Whitaker fed Mendy whose persistence led to him crossing for Bowery to volley home his seventh goal of the season.

Immediately Lee had to dive left to save a 20 yarder from Dean Furman and soon after he had to palm away a Chris Taylor effort as Oldham looked to hit back with some real pressure.

In the third minute of stoppage time, despite only one being signalled, Morais teased the right of Chesterfield’s defence and Smith rose high to head home from close range to equalise.

Whitaker forced a tip over save from Cisak but Spireites’ early second half pressure wasn’t sustained and Oldham gradually began to push up. Smith rushed into the box and tumbled under pressure from Trotman but the officials saw nothing wrong.

Talbot’s cross was almost turned in for an own goal off Kieran Lee as the hosts looked to get into the ascendency.

Trotman had to leave the field with a cut to the head, he clearly felt he’d been elbowed off the ball as he remonstrated whilst exiting for treatment. He returned several minutes later with a hefty bandage.

Keeper Lee had to save well from Adeyemi who’d darted into the box as Oldham again stepped things up.

Bowery was just unable to get a contact on a Trotman header from Whitaker’s corner and sub Kuqi headed just wide from a similar play at the other end as both sides searched for the winner.

Scott Boden hammered just wide from the box-edge and Smith and Boden had headers saved but, like Spireites’ recent performances, it wasn’t quite good enough.

Chesterfield (4-4-2): Lee 8, Talbot 6, Ford 6, Trotman 7, Robertson 7, Mendy 7 (Boden 76), Allott 6, Whitaker 7, Smith 6, Bowery 7, Westcarr 7. Subs (not used): Fleming, Juan, Niven, Mattis.

Goal: Bowery 34

Oldham: (4-4-1-1): Cisak 6, Lee 6, Diamond 7, Clarke 6, Black 6, Morais 6 (Parker 61,6), Taylor 7, Furman 8, Adeyemi 6, Simpson 7 (Scapuzzi 86), Smith 7 (Kuqi 65,6). Subs (not used): Bouzanis, Mvoto.

Goal: Smith 45+3

Bookings: Robertson, Smith (Chesterfield)

Attendance: 6723