Chesterfield: Leeds United 2 Spireites 1

Action from Leeds v Chesterfield
Action from Leeds v Chesterfield
Have your say

A spirited Chesterfield performance wasn’t quite enough to cause an upset at Championship side Leeds United.

The Spireites took a deserved lead through Eoin Doyle, but two minutes of mayhem turned the Capital One Cup tie on its head at Elland Road.

Michael Brown levelled the scores with a thunderbolt before a clinical finish from Dominic Poleon scored what proved to be the winner just after the half-hour mark.

Nathan Smith almost forced the game into extra time when his right-footed drive smacked the foot of the post in injury time.

The defender was brought into the side along with Doyle and Tendayi Darikwa as Paul Cook made three changes to the side that started at Bury on Saturday.

Sam Togwell, Jay O’Shea and Marc Richards were named on the bench alongside Liam Cooper but there was no place in the squad for club captain Ian Evatt, as Sam Hird and Ryan Edwards were given the chance to continue at the heart of defence.

Poleon had an early sight of goal for Leeds when he cut inside on to his right foot, but the forward pulled his shot wide of Lee’s right hand post.

The Spireites gradually grew into the game and put together a neat move which resulted in Roberts shooting well wide of the target.

It needed a brave block from Edwards to prevent Poleon from giving the hosts the lead after the forward had cut inside Talbot once more.

And in the 18th minute, 2,500 Blues fans were sent into dreamland when Talbot’s pin point cross to the back post was headed firmly into the bottom corner of the net by Doyle.

They could have doubled their advantage moments later when Humphreys attempted to flick Roberts cross over Kenny, before the Championship side made them pay.

Good work down the left saw the ball make its way to Brown, who unleashed a powerful strike across Lee into the corner of the net.

The goal rocked Chesterfield and Poleon capitalised with his third attempt of the half, after a mistimed interception by Edwards presented the forward with a clean run at goal.

Poleon had the option to pass as he advanced towards goal but decided to shoot instead and buried a shot past Lee, giving the Spireites keeper no chance.

Darikwa had a glorious opportunity to bring the Spireites level, after he latched on to Roberts’ slide-rule pass and rounded Kenny, but Pearce slid in to clear off the line.

Chesterfield came out for the second half and showed their battling qualities without really creating an opening, until Roberts tricked his way past Thompson only for the defender to drag the winger down just outside the area. Ryan stepped up but his near-post cross was easily dealt with.

At the other end, Smith headed just wide of the target, and Lee made a pointblank save to deny the same man when it looked certain the striker would score.

Gnanduillet and Ryan both forced Kenny into saves late on and Smith struck the post in injury time.

Leeds (4-4-2): Kenny 6; Thompson 6, Pearce 7, Lees 6, Drury 6; Norris 6 (Murphy 58), Green 6 (C), Brown 7, White 7 (McCormack 58); Smith 7, Poleon 7. Subs not used:Ashdown; Hunt, Varney, Hall, Mowatt.

Chesterfield (4-4-1-1): Lee 7; Talbot 6 (C), Edwards 6, Hird 7, Smith 6; Darikwa 6 (O’Shea 63), Morsy 6, Ryan 7, Humphreys 6 (Richards 76); Roberts 7; Doyle 6 (Gnanduillet 67). Subs not used: Chapman; Brown, Togwell, Cooper.

Goals: Doyle 18; Brown 29, Poleon 31.

referee: Carl Boyeson (E Yorks).

Bookings: Thompson 50; Ryan 68, Morsy 85, Lee 90+2.

Attendance: 17,466.