Chesterfield 1-0 Morecambe (Final)

Chesterfield FC V Morecambe at Proact Stadium. Richie Humphreys
Chesterfield FC V Morecambe at Proact Stadium. Richie Humphreys
Have your say

Chesterfield manager Paul Cook claimed tonight’s home match with Morecambe was more significant to their season than Sunday’s Johnstone’s Paint Trophy final against Peterborough will be.

And his team rose to this evening’s task, deservedly winning, albeit by the narrowest possible margin.

Chesterfield 's Paul Cook

Chesterfield 's Paul Cook

Promotion out of League Two is deemed essential at the Proact Stadium.

And after recently falling off the top into third spot, a win over the mid-table seasiders was the bonus Cook was demanding.

The Spireietes have had just one win in the last six games - so you could understand his urgency.

Chesterfield who lost 3-4 in Lancashire in October, but Morecambe were without a win in their last three.

The home side made four changes - Jimmy Ryan, Mason Bennett, Jay O’Shea, Eoin Doyle in for Sam Hird, Gary Roberts, Ollie Banks, Marc Richards.

Ritchie Humphreys’ 700th career appearance and he wears the armband.

O’Shea was a danger early on for the home side, shooting wide and then setting up Bennett.

On the quarter hour, O’Shea carved out another chance, for Doyle but his shot went wide.

The situation was then reversed - Doyle crossed to Irish midfielder O’Shea who headed home for 1-0 on 19 minutes.

Cook’s men seemed determined to hold on to the lead, tightly marking their opponents and closing their space down.

After the break, Doyle had a half chance but couldn’t squeeze the ball past Barry Roch; the goalie who had three years at Chesterfield.

And Roche stopped an almost-certain goal from Doyle just before the hour mark.

Tendayi Darikwa then set up substitute Richards but the striker headed wide.

Sam then had a couple of excellent chances, one of which cannoned off the Shrimps’ crossbar.

It was a deserved if modest win for Cook’s men.



Lee; Darikwa, Evatt, Cooper, Humphreys; Morsy, Ryan; Kearns, Bennett, O’Shea, Doyle.

Subs: Dunbavin, Hird, Talbot, Banks, Roberts, Gnanduillet, Richards.


Roche; Threlfall, Kenyon, Hughes (c), Diagne, Wright, Williams, Ellison, Marshall, Amond, Edwards.

Subs: Arestidou, Redshaw, Sampson, McReady, Mwasile, Doyle, Dunleavy.

Referee: Michael Naylor (South Yorkshire).