Boss is Kean on lifting struggling Rovers

editorial image
0
Have your say

GARY Megson is not the only manager under pressure to deliver success.

Blackburn Rovers boss Steve Kean started the season as favourite with many bookmakers to become the first person to be given the sack in the top flight.

Now, after just two matches of the 2011/12 campaign, some sections of the supporters have called for Kean to be axed following successive defeats against Wolves and Aston Villa. It leaves the team pointless and bottom of the embryonic table.

But despite Rovers sluggish start, Kean is backing his players to rectify their slump in fortunes.

“I can take any pressure because at the end of the day when you are doing the right things with the players, when the players are together, when the spirits are good, you know you will be okay.

“We had it last year. We are two games in at the moment, last year there was a hell of a lot of pressure and I was very confident the boys would come through and I am again. They will be fine.”

Bought by Indian poultry giant Venky’s last year, Rovers have audaciously tried to sign ex-Brazil midfielder Ronaldinho, former England captain David Beckham and prolific Spanish striker Raul this year.

Kean is actively searching the transfer market to bring in reinforcements to lift his beleaguered squad, and the Ewood Park outfit may bring in a new addition before tomorrow night’s Carling Cup tie with Sheffield Wednesday.

The Scot said offers have been accepted for potential new faces. Kean said medicals took place last week and Rovers were just waiting on personal terms to be agreed with the players in question.

Defenders Gael Givet (illness) and Chris Samba (groin) are in line to return in the midweek cup tie. Giant centre-back Samba has been linked with Arsenal and Tottenham throughout the summer window.

Kean added: “We are working with people at the moment who have not been with us too long. We are still bedding people in.”