MATCH REPORT: Barnsley 2 Hull City 1

One up: Craig Davies scores his second goal in two games to put the Reds in front against Hull at Oakwell.'                        Pictures: steve ellis
One up: Craig Davies scores his second goal in two games to put the Reds in front against Hull at Oakwell.' Pictures: steve ellis
Have your say

Craig Davies and Andy Gray did the business as Barnsley silenced Saturday’s boo-boys in battling fashion.

The Reds bounced back to upset Tigers, with the Oakwell faithful in full voice. And keeper Luke Steele also deserved the plaudits after another starring performance, his string of fine saves - one notably from the penalty spot - frustrating the visitors.

Two up: Second goal scorer Andy Gray celebrates

Two up: Second goal scorer Andy Gray celebrates

Midfielder Matty Fryatt bagged a late consolation for Nigel Pearson’s team, but it was little too late as the hosts held their nerve.

Reds boss Keith Hill had made two changes to his side which went down at home to Bristol City.

Winger Matt Done and midfielder Nathan Doyle both dropped to the bench, with midfielder David Perkins and striker Davies returning to the starting line-up.

Hill’s side started brightly and in the second minute Manchester United loan midfielder Danny Drinkwater rifled a powerful 25-yard shot straight at keeper Adriano Basso.

Jay McEveley whipped in a lovely cross, but Gray headed wide of the far post with Basso beaten.

Jim O’Brien tested Basso with a right-foot curler as the Reds continued to forge forward, but were nearly caught out when Joe Dudgeon got a yard on Davies and forced Steele to save at his near post.

Corry Evans had a shot deflected wide as the ball fell loose, before skipper Jack Hobbs volleyed over at the back from the resulting corner.

The visitors then won a penalty when Robbie Brady went down theatrically after a challenge from Jimmy McNulty.

But Steele pulled off a brilliant save diving to his left to turn Fryatt’s spot-kick against his left post.

Captain Butterfield broke forward on the counter-attack and Davies collected his defence-splitting pass, only to drag a right-foot shot wide inches wide. Steele then saved from Hobbs’ header at the back post after Brady’s corner had caused problems.

Fyratt had a guilt-edged chance 53 seconds into the second half, but he blasted wide.

But it was the Reds who got the opener when Davies bagged his second goal as many games, firing into the top right-hand corner.

O’Brien had threaded Gray through and the striker teed up Davies to fire home.

Butterfield chipped over the bar with a cheeky effort just before the hour mark as the Reds continued to press. And a second goal came in the 59th minute when Basso spilled Drinkwater’s fierce drive and Gray made no mistake mopping up from the edge of the six-yard box.

The Tigers’ response was immediate and McLean rattled the crossbar with a spectacular overhead kick.

Butterfield did well to hold on to possession soon after and lashed a long-range shot over.

Steele produced another brilliant save, this time from McLean’s rasping long-range drive as the match entered its final phase.

Butterfield tested substitute keeper Peter Gulacsi in the 78th minute and the Liverpool loan recruit then saved well to deny O’Brien.

The Tigers broke free and Fryatt pulled a goal back against the run of play, firing past Steele in the bottom right corner.

Steele then thwarted Fryatt with a brilliant one-handed save after the midfielder’s deflected shot looked destined for top right corner.

McLean had a great chance with five minutes remaining but he fired wide and substitute Dele Adebola headed wide from a corner, much to the relief of the home side.

Davies could have put the icing on the cake with his second of the evening, but his toe-poked shot was cleared off the line in injury-time.