Match Report: Barnsley 2 Blackburn Rovers 2

Barnsley's Chris O'Grady celebrates after scoring a penalty against Blackburn.
Barnsley's Chris O'Grady celebrates after scoring a penalty against Blackburn.
Have your say

Chris O’Grady’s penalty rescued a point for Barnsley following what was a fiercely-contested Roses battle against Blackburn.

The striker followed up his double in the victory against Blackpool last time out with another crucial strike on a night when new loan capture Nick Proschwitz bagged a first-half debut strike.

The point lifted the brave Reds off the foot of the table thanks to Yeovil’s second-half collapse at Derby.

Wilson made just the two changes to the starting line-up and both were enforced, with Jacob Mellis and loan man Ryan McLaughlin both ruled out by niggling injuries. Lewin Nyatanga took McLaughlin’s place at right-back as he stepped in for just his second appearance of the season, while new recruit from Hull - Proschwitz - was thrown straight in to partner O’Grady up top.

It was Rovers who bossed the opening quarter of the game, though Barnsley fluffed by far the most presentable chance.

Luke Steele was kept busy as Tom Cairney, Tommy Spurr, and Rudy Gestede all brought fine saves out of the Oakwell number one.

However, in the 18th minute, Proschwitz should have done better when he found himself in acres of space and totally unmarked, only for the big German to fire straight at veteran stopper Paul Robinson.

Proschwitz made no mistake just before the half-hour mark. Dale Jennings flung over a super cross from the right flank, and the German was there to volley clinically past Robinson from eight yards.

But the Reds were behind by half-time. Cairney cracked home a superb half-volley from 20 yards, then a minute before the break some slack defending allowed Jason Lowe to find Gestede, and the Rovers striker tucked home neatly past Steele from the corner of the six-yard box.

Wilson made one change at the break - with the ineffective Stephen Dawson replaced by Paul Digby - and it was the Reds who created the first chance of the second period when Jim O’Brien fired narrowly wide.

Tomasz Cywka was soon thrown on as the Reds were becoming ever more desperate for a leveller.

Proschwitz then latched promisingly on to Brek Shea’s through-ball, but despite striking a low shot well, Robinson did enough when saving at the second attempt.

The Reds did get back on terms with 21 minutes to go, in somewhat controversial circumstances.

Spurr nudged third Barnsley sub Liam Lawrence in the box, and though Rovers players were incensed, referee Mr Stockbridge pointed straight to the spot. Leading goal-scorer O’Gray coolly slotted the spot-kick past Robinson.

Rovers probably had the better of the late chances, with Jordan Rhodes having an effort hacked off the line by Peter Ramage.

Goals: Proschwitz (29), O’Grady (69 pen) for Barnsley; Cairney (36), Gestede (44) for Rovers.

Barnsley: Steele 7, Nyatanga 5 (Cywka 54, 6), Cranie 7, Ramage 7, Kennedy 6, Shea 8, Jennings 6 (Lawrence 61, 6), Dawson 4 (Digby 46, 6), O’Brien 8, Proschwitz 8, O’Grady 7 .

Subs not used: Dibble, McCourt, M’voto, Noble-Lazarus.

Blackburn: Robinson 7, Henley 8, Hanley 7, Kilgallon 7, Spurr 6, Dunn 7 (Taylor 64, 6), Williamson 6 (King 77, 6), Lowe 7, Cairney 7, Gestede 6, Rhodes 6. Subs not used: Morris, Kane, King, Eastwood, Olsson, Mahoney.

bookings: Dawson (27), Lowe (58)

referee: Seb Stockbridge (Tyne & Wear)

attendance: 9,703