FT: Blackpool 1 Barnsley 0

editorial image
Have your say

An agonising stoppage time goal star man David Perkins denied Barnsley a deserved point at Blackpool.

There were very few empty seats inside Bloomfield Road as the players geared up for kick-off.

Barnsley's Jim o'brien beats Simon Davies to the ball

Barnsley's Jim o'brien beats Simon Davies to the ball

The atmosphere was raucous despite a traumatic week for the hosts following last Saturday’s Championship win at Doncaster.

League Cup defeat at local rivals Preston was followed by disciplinary action for Seasiders’ boss Paul Ince and his star striker son Tom, so the home fans were baying for Barnsley’s blood.

The Reds’ following were equally as vocal, however, so hopefully the 1,000 or so travelling fans would finally get a goal to cheer today.

There was a cracking start with both sides exchanging presentable chances inside the opening four minutes.

The hosts went first with Osbourne drilling a low shot inches wide from just outside the Reds’ box.

Barnsley swiftly responded in kind, with Perkins firing a crisp half-volley a whisker over the top after playing a perfectly-executed one-two with O’Grady.

The Reds had a spring in their step and O’Grady then went close as he scuffed a shot following some good approach play from the tricky Cywka.

The Reds threatened again when O’Brien’s in-swinging corner-kick was plucked from just beneath his bar by desperate keeper Gilks.

Perkins was again pulling Barnsley’s strings in the heart of the midfield and the visitors were just about on top.

Blackpool midfielder Grant turned inside Golbourne before firing a 20-yard effort a couple of feet over the top.

Neither keeper had been seriously tested, though the Reds still looked confident.

Blackpool who created the next opportunity when Basham played the ball into the feet of Grant,who neatly side-stepped O’Brien but his shot was expertly blocked by the lunging M’Voto.

The big defender - signed after his contract at Oldham ran out - was looking composed at the heart of the defence again and looks a shrewd capture.

Cywka skipped effortlessly past Broadfoot, only for his drive from 12 yards to nestle in the side-netting.

Cywka was having a great game out on the flank and just when it looked like he had played O’Grady in for an effort at goal, Mackenzie made a timely interven.

Blackpool then created their best chance of the game.

After some neat approach play, Broadfoot clipped the ball superbly into the path of Chopra, only for the former Newcastle and Cardiff striker to slide a shot across Steele and inches past the far post.

The Reds replied seconds before the interval. Dagnall latched on to a smart chest-down from O’Grady. but his shot was blocked by MacKenzie and Basham cleared the loose ball to safety.



Barnsley............ 0

Within a minute of the restart the Reds ought to have gone in front.

Golbourne found acres of space down Blackpool’s right and crossed in beautifully for O’Grady, only for the big man to somehow scoop a poor shot over the top from barely 12 yards.

It was a terrific early chance for the Reds - one which the travelling army would hope wouldn’t be regretted later in the game.

They went close again just before the hour mark.

O’Brien touched a free-kick to Cywka, but a powerfully-struck shot fizzed harmlessly wide with Gilks left untroubled.

The Reds continued to probe and zip the ball around well, and in the 63rd minute the visiting fans thought their players had finally cracked it.

Golbourne made another searching run down the left and crossed expertly for sub Scotland - on for the unfortunate Dagnall - but the ex-Swansea and Wigan striker could only plant a header over the top from eight yards.

Still the Reds were pressing as the final 20 minute-mark passed, with Scotland again proving a real threat.

He latched onto a knock-down from O’Grady before firing in a rasping shot which Gilks got down superbly to beat away.

An almost token effort from Blackpool saw sub Eccleston slam a shot into the side-netting, but Barnsley had always looked the more dangerous.

At the other end the defence had been resolute, but there was to be late heartbreak when a stoppage-time throw-in into the box from Robinson wasn’t cleared and PERKINS could only divert the ball into his own net on the line.