Barnsley: Reds star set for Addicks discussions

Barnsley forward Chris O'Grady.
Barnsley forward Chris O'Grady.
0
Have your say

Chris O’Grady is poised to hold talks with Charlton Athletic after they had a six-figure offer accepted for the Barnsley striker, The Star understands.

Ben Mansford, the Reds chief executive, revealed several clubs had inquired about O’Grady’s services last weekend. However, he insisted that Barnsley had yet to receive a bid which met their valuation for the Nottingham-born player.

But now it is understood O’Grady, the Reds Player of the Year, has been granted permission to speak to the Addicks, who have had an offer in the region of £500,000 accepted. It is thought Millwall manager Ian Holloway is also keeping a close eye on O’Grady’s situation.

Charlton were one of the lowest scorers during the 2013/14 campaign and are looking to bolster the attacking options at their disposal, with Marvin Sordell and Jon Obika returning to their parent clubs.

O’Grady, snapped up from Sheffield Wednesday in 2013, finished Barnsley’s leading goal-scorer last season, hitting 15 goals in 43 outings as the club failed to retain their Championship status.

Speaking earlier this month, the forward, contracted to Barnsley until next summer, said: “I don’t have a clue what will happen.

“If the club accepts an offer for me, then I will look at it and see if it is right for me. I have to think about my family’s future. I have always wanted to play at the highest level possible, and I still want to play in the Premier League, but sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards and staying with Barnsley in League One is definitely a good option.”

Barnsley midfielder Brad Abbott, meanwhile, is looking to prove his worth after penning a pro deal at Oakwell.

The 19-year-old, who enjoyed a loan spell at Harrogate last term, said: “I’m really happy to have been given a deal by the gaffer and hopefully next season I can kick on and show what I can do.”