Barnsley: Reds aren’t giving up on Walsall’s Tom Bradshaw

New Barnsley signings George Moncur and Andy Yiadom at Oakwell
New Barnsley signings George Moncur and Andy Yiadom at Oakwell
0
Have your say

Barnsley are still in hot pursuit of Walsall’s highly sought-after striker Tom Bradshaw, despite having a second bid for the player rejected.

The Star understands that the Reds tabled a second bid believed to be £350,000, an increase on the original offer earlier this month.

But it is understood the Saddlers are looking for at least £500,000 for the 23-year-old - who bagged 20 goals last season.

Bradshaw is wanted by a number of other clubs, including Rangers in the Scottish Premiership.

But Barnsley are confident they can land the striker and the Star understands they are prepared to increase their offer to £400,000 in order to secure the player’s signature.

A number of incentives had been offered in the original deal proposed to Walsall but both of Barnsley’s bids have been flatly rejected despite the player reportedly keen to move from the Bescot Stadium.

Meanwhile, a deal to sign Plymouth Argyle Curtis Nelson is unlikely to happen.

Barnsley boss Paul Heckingbottom is a big admirer of the centre-back and was keen to sign the player to bolster his defensive options with Alfie Mawson, the subject of a bid from Bristol City.

Former Barnsley manager Lee Johnson has made a bid for the player, but Barnsley have rejected the Robins.

The Reds are continuing to chase Charlton Athletic’s Callum Harriott, but have had a bid rejected for the midfielder who is also wanted by a number of other clubs.

Manchester United striker Ashley Fletcher remains a target, although the Star understands the Reds’ best chance of signing the player is likely to be on loan.

Wigan Athletic are believed to be frontrunners for the centre-forward’s signature, with Fletcher facing the quandary of deciding whether to stay at Manchester United - who have offered him a permanent deal.

Yesterday at Oakwell the Reds unveiled new signings George Moncur and Andrew Yiadom.

Former West Ham and Colchester midfielder Moncur has signed a three-year deal with the club, while Yiadom signed on a free from Barnet at the end of last season.

The Championship club had hoped to unveil new signing Elliot Lee on a two-year deal, but the paperwork between themselves and West Ham was due to be completed this (Friday) morning.

Lee and Moncur played together at Colchester last season and they are the type of young players Heckingbottom believes will be welcome additions to his youthful squad.

The Reds returned to pre-season training this week with fitness testing mixed in with ball work, with new signings Moncur, Yiadom and Lee involved.

Speaking exclusively to the Star, Heckingbottom said: “George and Elliot are very good additions for us, they’re young and hungry and want to be successful. They’re great lads and they played together for Colchester last season, which is an added bonus for us. We were clear in the what type of players we wanted to sign this season and both of those lads fit the mould.”

The Reds also signed promising talents Stefan Payne and Kayden Jackson at the end of last season, with the aim to develop them this season.

And with the experience of Yiadom, the former Barnet captain, added to the ranks, Barnsley are looking healthy heading into the new season.

Looking ahead at Barnsley’s first season back in the second tier of English football, Heckingbottom said: “If we can coach, train and get the players to understand their roles as well as they possibly can we are equipped for any type of game.

“It’s up to us to recognise what’s needed and get the players to do it to give us the best chance of winning.”