Barnsley FT:: Charlton 1 Reds 2

editorial image
Have your say

Barnsley grabbed a lifeline in their battle to stay in the Championship with a great 2-1 win at drop rivals Charlton, surviving a late scare when the Addics scored a 90th minute goal.

Both teams had chances with just 10 minutes gone.

Charlton, looking to open an eight-point gap over the Reds, went close through a Jordan Cousins shot after good work by Richard Wood.

Then the Reds’ Ryan McLaughlin tried a long-range effort but it was wide to the right.

McLaughlin had a header from the right side of the box saved by Hamer and soon after the hosts twice went close. Callum Harriott headed wide and Johnnie Jackson’s left-foot shot was just off target.

But then Barnsley grabbed a lifeline with a goal in the 31st minute. Jean-Yves Moto headed into the top right hand corner from a cross by Dale Jennings following a corner,

There was a delay for fighting just before half-time with play resuming after Barnsley’s Stephen Dawson and Charlton’s Cousins were given yellow cards before Barnsley went into half time one up.

Diego Poyet was off target for Charlton before a left-footed shot from outside the box by Harriott was blocked.

Barnsley’s Dale Jennings was also off target.

In the 54th minute Charlton brought on Reza Ghoochanneijhad in place of Harriott.

Reds’ Chris O’Grady was wide with a header from a Thomas Kennedy cross in the 61st minute.

Barnsley were making a great fight in ther survivsl bid and doubled their advantage after 62 minutes.

Thomas Kennedy screwed home as left footed shot from a difficult angle out from wide on the left after Tomasz Cywka set him up.

There were several substitutions with Charlton’s Lawrie Wilson replacing Chris Solly, Reds’ Jacob Mellis going on for the injured Jack Hunt and the hosts# Astrit Ajdarevic on for Poyet.

Ajdarevic hadn’t been on for long before he received a yellow card for a bad challenge and Barnsley went into the last 10 minutes with a 2-0 lead.

But Barnsley’s unfortunate habit of conceding late goals struck again as the hosts struck in the 90th minute with sub Ajdarevic doing the damage with right footed shot from the left side of the six yard box to the centre of the goal following a set piece, a minute after Barnsley’s Martin Cranie was shown a yellow card.

And further agony came for the Reds when the fourth official indicated there would be six added minutes,

But the Barnsley braves hung on for a vital, great victory.

The teams:

Charlton: Hamer, Jackson, Dervitte, Sordell, Harriott, Obika, Wood, Wiggins, Solly, Cousins, Poyet. Subs: Thuram-Ulien, Hughes, Morrison, Ghoochannejhad, Wilson, Fox, Ajdarevic.

Barnsley: Steele, Kennedy, Cranie, Dawson, O’Grady, Lawrence, Jennings, Cywka, M’voto, Etuhu, McLaughlin.Subs: .Subs: Turner, Hassell, Proschwitz, Woods, Hunt, Mellis, McCourt