Barnsley 2, York 0 report: Kane proves he is able in Reds JPT win

Kane Hemmings celebrates putting Barnsley 2-0 ahead at Oakwell
Kane Hemmings celebrates putting Barnsley 2-0 ahead at Oakwell
Have your say

Barnsley cruised into the second round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, though they made hard work of seeing off gutsy York City at Oakwell.

Clinical second-half finishes from Devante Cole and sub Kane Hemmings secured the Reds’ progress as they stepped on the gas in the final half-hour.

Barnsley v York City'Johnstone Paint Trophy'Devante Cole celebrates after putting the Reds ahead with Brad Abbott

Barnsley v York City'Johnstone Paint Trophy'Devante Cole celebrates after putting the Reds ahead with Brad Abbott

The visitors gave a good account of themselves for boss Nigel Worthington, but it was the hosts who stamped their authority on the game in that closing spell.

There is a maximum of five starting line-up changes permitted for the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, but Reds boss Danny Wilson made just three following the weekend’s battling effort in the 1-1 League One draw at Yeovil.

And those changes all came in offensive positions.

Wide-man Dale Jennings and loan striker Cole were both rewarded for recent impressive outings as substitutes by earning starts - it was Cole’s first for the Reds - while youngster James Bree was handed a chance on the left side of the midfield four.

Luke Berry, injury victim Keith Treacy and front-man Leroy Lita were all rested, with none of those named among the five permitted replacements.

York, who have drawn all five of their League Two fixtures so far, made just the single change to their starting XI following Saturday’s goalless draw against Wycombe. Former Burnley man Wes Fletcher was handed a start up front, alongside Michael Coulson.

Again in front of watching former Manchester United and Newcastle legend Andy Cole, it was a lacklustre and laboured first-half performance from the Reds and it took 36 minutes to create a chance worthy of note.

At that point Sam Winnall neatly teed up Conor Hourihane in the box, only for the weekend’s goal hero to guide a shot wide from 10 yards. A minute later Jennings rifled in a shot which was well gathered by York ‘keeper Michael ingham, but before that the match had belonged to the Minstermen.

Neither side ended up scoring before the interval, but Luke Summerfield forced Adam Davies into a terrific low save and Fletcher saw a strike bravely blocked by Joe Dudgeon.

Central defender John McCombe was next to go close for York, as he charged up from the back to power a header inches wide from Summerfield’s in-swinging corner. There was more of a spring in the Reds’ step at the beginning of the second period, and Hourihane almost broke the deadlock when he curled a free-kick onto the roof of the net.

Former Bayern Munich prospect Jennings was also looking much more livelier and he took aim and drilled in a daisy-cutter which Ingham was equal to.

The opening goal the fans had craved finally arrived in the 63rd minute, and a simple one it was as Cole rammed home at the far post after latching on to Bree’s tempting cross.

His dad’s grin was broad as Cole wheeled away in celebration as finally the home faithful let out a bigger cheer than when referee Mr Bankes got his vanishing foam out at free-kicks.

The goal clearly lifted the Reds, and with 12 minutes left sub Hemmings smashed home from 25 yards to rubber-stamp the victory.