Sheffield ‘Headbanger’ Fewkes is back

John Fewkes.
John Fewkes.
0
Have your say

NOT MANY people enjoy a gaping graze across their eye which required a fair few stitches to close.

But John Fewkes is wearing his like a badge of honour, writes Bob Westerdale.

‘Fewky’ earned the cut last month during a clash of heads with Scunthorpe’s Steve Spence.

The Barnsley Metrodome match-up was Fewkes’ come-back fight after ‘retiring’ in May 2010.

Fewkes was desperate to re-start his career with a win - and only the patience of referee Michael Alexander - allowing the Sheffielder to carry on - allowed him to complete the four rounder, which he won on points.

Fewkes said: “It is still pretty sore now, but it reminds me that I am back, so I am wearing the scar as a medal.

“I have done some charity boxing but the cut tells me that I am back doing the real deal, the sport I love most.

“The cut also gave me a kick up the backside.

“Steve might not have had the best record (won 3 lost 28) but he’s a tough kid and I know I have to be on my game every night or things like that clash of heads, or worse, will happen.

“I realise now what I have been missing. When you box (professionally) you feel as if you are somebody - not just a nobody who is floating through life” said the former Central Area light welterweight champ. “I want a title by the end of 2013 - after my come back I am now ready to move forward.”

Fewkes had hoped to box William Warburton in the ring at iceSheffield on February 8. That is now postponed to a later date.

“I need to be busy after all the time I have had out. My next fight could be in February at the ice arena or at Doncaster on March 8? Whichever it is - I cannot wait.”